Titans could look to throw more to Scaife

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<p><em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em></p> <p>NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Titans most threatening wide receiver, Justin Gage, was out of the regular season Tennessee-Baltimore game with a knee injury.</p> <p>Tight end Bo Scaife led the Titans with seven receptions for 72 yards.</p> <p>Scaife finished the regular season with a team-high 58 catches for 561 yards, yardage second only to Gage.</p> <p>But Scaife's production dropped off down the stretch. He was the team's leading pass-catcher in five of the first nine games and he had a 10-yard per-catch average. Since then he hasn't caught more than four passes in a game and has averaged 8.7 yards.</p> <p>Offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, quarterback Kerry Collins and Scaife all said they didn't feel like anything has changed in the offensive approach.</p> <p>"He's still in it on a lot of things, it just hasn't gone over there," Heimerdinger said. "People are probably playing a little more attention to him now than they have, coverage has just taken us someplace else. I guarantee you every week there are plays to get the ball to Bo, it's just we haven't been catching the right coverage."</p> <p>Said Collins: "I haven't noticed that teams have done anything in particular to take Bo away. It might just be a function of the way a season goes sometimes, there are ebbs and flows. He's always a part of our game plan."</p> <p>Scaife said healthier receivers helped spread the ball around more.</p> <p>But against the stingy Ravens on Saturday, Scaife would figure to be a big part of the offense. Emphasizing Scaife on the scripted first 15 plays could also help Heimerdinger get Collins off to a smoother start than he's had in a lot of games this season.</p>

More...

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I hope our 1st 15 plays include loads of Crumpler and Scaife. Collins absolutely needs help getting in a rhythm, and TEs are almost always the answer.

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I'd love to see Crumpler run a drag across the middle, catch the pass and just steamroll a Ray Lewis waiting for him thinking Crumpler will be an easy tackle. Hehe.

But you're right, I feel that the TEs will be instrumental in this game.
    Crumpler and Scaife will be our 'anti-blitz' policies.

4. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

And that is the moment when all of America will remember how bad*** the Titans are ala Eddie George style...just to see Ray Lewis laid out from a hit would make my night...after a win of course.

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Ray Ray was Eddy's *****.

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

This brings up a good point - Titans essentially played the 1st time without KVB, Haynesworth and Justin Gage. Tony Brown was injured during that game also.

So virtually our entire D line was down, and our only deep threat was gone. BAL will be facing a completely different team this time around.

7. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Haynesworth played all the game until the fourth quarter ..... like 12 min left I think.

T. Brown also played

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar