Titans are racists...!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Racism is not always clear as the statement did we or did we not just draft a black qb. The NFL definately still has problems. For example, I can tell you the majority of Buffalo fans are not ready to accept a black qb, and if you notice, they were the very first team to draft one in 1968. And probably never had one since. And it may be a long time coming. However, the fans there are more than willing to accept the fact that they have to have black wr's and black rb's and what not. They will sit there and tell you that black qb's are not smart enough and will never play in Buffalo. And then they say they are not racist. And maybe they aren't, and maybe they are, who can really say, but I can tell you, the general outlook in cities like Buffalo and Boston is clear, they are as close to racist as you can get. And it would not be suprising in the least if ownership noted that and made decisions based on that. It's an indirect thing, that while not clearly stated, is understood. Now the people in TN don't seem to be racist or close to racist in general. I say that only because I have never heard that before. I don't really know. So the question here is not about indirect racism, it is like somone said, it's how they treat their black players.

I don't know what Warren Moon would say, but I would say that at the very least he felt as though racism was a big part of his life while he was with the team. May only be fan related. don't know. But he had to deal with it. So make of that what you will.

Now, McNair deals with this.

That is two qb's in a row, who apparently, have made eluded to problems in one way or another.

So while we have drafted black qb's, it means nothing, it's all about how you treat the individuals once they are here.

I can really come to no conclusion, because I have no idea, but these things are not as clear cut as people would like to think they are. Ray Lewis is now inundated with TN players, so he actually does have a reference point, and I do not think you can totally dismiss his comments for that simple fact.

This seems far fetched, don't get me wrong, but there is smoke.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Billy Volek can't compare? If Volek was black his situation would be run up the flag poll as a perfect example of how blacks get mistreated. But because he is white it doesn't compare? Volek got shafted more than Mac. Mac was let go because of money, pure and simple. We could not afford to keep him and if he took a 50% cut in pay so the Titans could carry his CAP hit he would have been the starter this year. The whole scenario with the lock out was as much McNair and his agent pulling a scummy stunt as anything.
    Volek on the other hand was screwed every which way he could get screwed waiting right up to the start of the regular season when they did it. But because he isn't black it is not comparable? Right.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Comparing Volek and McNair is hard to think about. I would agree that if Volek was black his situation would be a big issue. He was screwed over. However, McNair's situation is far more potent. Think about it, he was denied access. It's was embarassing and humilating. If Volek had been locked out of the facilities that might be comparable. But he wasn't. He was at least dissed to his face. Then again, Volek was never even given the chance to qb this team. He was ousted, but for another white guy. Not a black Vince Young. I'm just rambling, but I think both players had a right to be pissed off. But only McNair would really be faced with the question of racism as he is indeed black and was indeed denied access to a facility he had previously been given access to.

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

EXCUSE ME!! EXCUSE ME!!!

What color is Vince Young?

And didn't Steve McNair, in his own interview, say that he KNEW that the terms would not be resolved and that he would be leaving?

If you're the GM, why would you allow an injury-prone athlete to practice when his contract has yet to be approved?

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

McNair knew before he arrived at BSP that he would be turned away. He knew Fisher would not be there to talk to. There was no public humiliation. It was a media stunt orchestrated by Bus Cook.

6. Nine

Nine Starter

The whole comparison to Manning and Favre is ludicrous. Manning is still playing at a ridiculously high level; Mac isn't. Favre's salary for this year was $7M, with a total cap hit of $12M....millions less than what McNair was scheduled to receive this year.

Did McNair get a raw deal? Absolutely. However, the Browns did exactly the same thing to Tim Couch a few years ago, and everyone understood that it was a matter of too much money for too little performance.

Had McNair put up a 90+ passer rating while leading the team to a respectable record last year, then he's still a Titan, and we're not having this conversation. But for the past two years, Steve McNair has received elite pay for mediocre play. It's unfortunate that the Titans gave him the Tim Couch treatment....but to suggest that their actions were motivated more by race than money is simply ludicrous.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

What color is Kerry Collins? Volek was replaced for Kerry Collins, and I think we all know Kerry was the choice. Not Vince. And to add a little fuel the the fire, we basically told Vince that we were going to start an old white qb who just rolled off his sofa before we start you.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I wonder if Byron Leftwich feels mistreated?

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

What'u talkin' bout TJ?

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Crappy treatment, but how it's racist I have no idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar