Titans and Collins Agree in Principle to Terms

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoTitans3801, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

Look. I know we are all spewing our own opinions and venting as well...and we have some really sharp people on this board.....
    With that said, none of us are coaches or GMs, nor are we in the position to "clean out the front office" or "fire the entire coaching staff". There is a reason Fisher / Reece are where they are and we are all were we are.
    I think there is more to this whole thing than any of us know. Obviously Fisher wants competition at the position, and I'm sure he has his reasons.
    Not to wear the Titan blue glasses here, but I do trust Fisher.

PS -Not a word so far on Sportscenter and they are 1/2 way thru the show (that I have heard)....they have talked about Parcells, the Cowboys, and T.O. for about the 5th time in 30 minutes.

2. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

That's alot of cabbage for a #2 QB... That's all I'm saying.... Well, maybe not...:ha:

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

From TitansOnline:
    http://www.titansonline.com/news/titans_news_detail.php?PRKey=4002

Only thing new:
    “This is a matter of upgrading our roster,” Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said. “Kerry brings a great deal of experience to our team and has won a lot of games over his career. He adds instant depth to our quarterback group.”

4. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

There it is... Kerry brings a great deal of experience. Translation....He can get it done when is OL can't. OR. Kerry brings a great deal of experience that Volek doesn't...

I love conspiracy theories... :ha:

5. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Hell, anything that's going to give me a better team on Madden '07:yes:

6. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

Look at it this way. We are getting KC for about 1/10 of what the Raiders paid him last year.

It is cheap insurance at worst, and he can be an upgrade over BV fairly easily.

Now we still have 8 mil + to go shopping for OL/DL help, which we better use....

7. EZpickin

EZpickin Camp Fodder

What crazy twilight zone episode am I living in right now?!?!
    Mcnair's a raven, George is a play by play guy, Collins is a titan and I'm going to get a drink and try and figure out what wormhole I f#&*ing fell into....
    Remember the Ti....umm....ugggggg....... that football team who...... uhhhhhhhh...(cue twilight zone music)

8. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Life rolls on....

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

oh fun.

But Soxcat put Volek's stats into perspective, he doesnt sound all that bad.
    And how many drops we have had doesnt help either.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I live in New York and watched Collins quite a bit when he was with the Giants.

The Good...

The guy can THROW. He's got a nice deep ball and has really grown over his time with the Giants.

If any of you heard him talk before the Giants/Ravens Super Bowl, you'd have seen that he matured quite a bit as a person so chuck out the racist talk. He made a mistake and learned from it.

While he's not a top 10 QB, he has ripped up a team passing in the playoffs before (Vikings) and has a decent record and a ton of experience. In short, we have a decent idea of what he brings to the party.

With weapons around him and some good playcalling, he can be VERY effective (as he was with the Gaints). The Giants had a pourous OL during his time but he fared pretty well despite the fumble-age.

The bad...

He is immobile! He coughs up the ball with frequency when sacked. He can go into stare down mode and when pressured he tends to overthrow the skinny-post which equals a near automatic INT.

Conclusion

This is an excellent hire for many reasons. First, he gives Volek instant competition at arguably the most important position on the football team.

Second, the offense has looked BAD. Is it the OL? Is it our RB's? Is it Volek? We'll find out.

Third, even if Volek retains the #1 spot, we now have a very experienced #2 and don't have to throw Young to the Wolves is Volek gets hurt.

Fourth, even if Volek is hurt, we have a shot at NOT going 1-15.

Fifth, Young is not going to be ready for fulltime starting this year (IMO) so we can continue to work him on game specific packages rather than have him trying to spread his focus over the entire playbook. This should make a part-time VY MUCH more effective!

Sixth, it is possible Kerry Collins will beat out Volek (not til he's comfortable with the offense though). If he can beat out Volek, we have just upgraded the position. If he can't, we've add good depth.

This is a win-win situation.

While KC may think he's good a good shot at becoming the starter, we shouldn't be worried about that. May the best man win since most likely, Young will be the driver of the car next year anyway.

Of course, I did suggest trading Volek after his record streak and the Jets needing a QB. I wouldn't cry if Volek were traded for a much-needed OL guy.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar