Titans agree with Jovan Haye

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Which is why I think Cecil will dial up the aggressiveness/deception/trickery/ speed/shiftiness of the defense to make up for Al's power and size. While it won't be like Balti's defense per se, I think he'll tune it a bit to their style of swarming, 'don't know where they're coming from' type D. Not much, but a bit.

Me neither. We're going to have a stable of guys itching to prove that they are just as good w/o Al (they may not be though), and will put forth every effort to play lights out.

2. titansfan769

titansfan769 Starter

Yea guys good points above me, i mean honestly some people are really underating Haye. My Aunt is a Bucs fan, has had season tickets to the Bucs for 8 years and goes to every home game and she called me last night and was like you are getting a hell of a player. She told me that Haye doesnt get half the credit he deserves for how good he played in 2007 and he is going to be good with us. Fisher is right though, when you have the depth that we have at d-line, there will barely be a drop off from last year. Vickerson, Ford, Hayes, Jones, Kearse, Vanden Bosch, Haye, Brown. I mean come on. Last year when Al was out our d-line was still golden. When Vandenbosch missed time someone stepped up and played good. Im not worried what so ever and i think everyone just has to remember. You cannot replace Al. Its impossible and it wont happen so stop resorting to that. We are very skilled at that position and with the personelle that we have at this point we still have the deepest and best d-line in the league. When someone gets tired, bingo just plug in someone from the bench and there is barely any falloff. The big question mark at line for us is what path they will take with Jason Jones. Are they going to line him up and have him ready for DE when Kearse retires or are they going to bulk him up and have him as our starting DT. So when that is your only problem id say we are just fine boys, just fine.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

Good post Tfan769. I think they will beef Jones up and hope that with Ford, Ball and Hayes we will be good after JK leaves.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Maybe a week ago. And you're australian. You'll think it's cool about 5 years after we do it.

5. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

So many Titan Fans have become accustomed to the old Fisher/Schwartz 4-3 that they are not willing to see that we can make some changes and tweeks and be just as good with smaller and faster players.

Before someone decides to contradict, I never said change to a 3-4, go back and read.... just suggested weeks ago that Cecil will use it in some packages.

Offenses have been evolving for the past 20 years, defenses have been a bit slower to do so....but I believe Cecil and his D will evolve slightly into something more of a hybrid this season.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I've seen many people say this, but I'm not sure what the point is. Why compare their rookie years? They are very different players. Jones with 70 more lbs and Al's functional strength while retaining his speed and quickness is Al. I don't think Jones will ever be that, he doesn't have Al's potential.

Jones had one really good game against a lame o-line with a QB that held on to the ball too long. Big Ben walked into a few of those sacks by Jones.

Not trying to be a party pooper, just a realist. There's no reason to compare the rookie seasons of those guys. What matters to us is can Jones be the same as 07-08 Al? No way imo. Oh well, gotta retool the d-line as best we can.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Anyone know the contract numbers on Haye?

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it's got nothing to do with who is the defensive coordinator. jeff fisher is the head coach and as long as he is we're going to run a 4-3 as our base defense.

we've used antwan odom as a standing rusher, so i guess you can count that, even though we had the same personnel on the field.

but i don't get the correlation with smaller and faster players when you suggest using the 3-4. you want bigger players, especially on the line and at mike backer in a 3-4. jovan haye and tony brown would be lucky to play end on a 3-4 defense, let alone nose guard.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

That is unfortunately true. Though I will never think the bubble vest is cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar