Titans 2012 draft by position

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

The thing that kills me about Coples is that Quinn and Austin get suspended for the 2010 season. Who goes out to Marvin Austin's draft party and gets photographed living it up on other people's dime? And almost gets suspended themselves? Quinton Coples.

Incredibly poor judgment and that doesn't even touch on playing not to get hurt and dogging it this past season. There is no way this guy has a head on his shoulders to have a long, successful NFL career.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I LOVE the FB position. If you get yourself the right one, your offense can really explode. However, there just aren't many FB's left, they're a dying breed in this day in age. Having a lead blocker behind the QB doesn't tip off any defense any more than playing with 3-WR sets, so those who think keeping one or investing early in one is dumb, I beg to differ. Drafting one as early as the 3rd round might be dumb, but keeping a quality FB around is IMO a good idea. Ask Eddie George, Cory Dillon, or Ladanian Tomlinson how much they liked their FB.

Fullbacks don't age well. So while Hall may only have 6 years of wear and tear on him, he's on the decline. He's had a few concussions and today that's serious stuff. He may need to retire or risk his well being in ten years.

FB's don't just block, they collide into people, that takes a toll on your body. FB's have the shortest careers of any NFL players.

With all that said, we should pass on bringing back Hall. Quinn Johnson may only be average, but C.J. does his best work in singleback formations. And since nobody is biting on misdirection plays with Quinn Johnson in, we might want to consider using a 5th or 6th rounder on a FB.

We typically spend 60% of our draft picks on defensive players, so this year may not be the year to look for Hall's long term replacement, but since I personally like FB's, I might use a later pick to address it.

Also keep in mind that the reason Johnson was waived last year was due to not knowing the playbook, but also Halls return made him unneeded. They guy is capable, just had little time to learn things last year.

3. wg53

wg53 Starter

They may love their FBs but it has nothibg to do with their production, especially Eddie.

Eddie always produced more out of one back sets than I form.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea but having a FB beat down LB's all day is good for an offense. I can tell you from experience the LAST player I ever wanted to take on was the FB. They just wear LB's out, and allow RB's to sneak around them.

Football is a mind game also, so you use the FB to screw with your opponents. I know some of my old teams have done that.

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Can someone explain the salary cap thing to me? Don't we have to use 90% of it? I know this has been asked a THOUSAND times but I'm curious.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

90% by next year

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

But we would have CAM!

:lol:

8. Alex1939

Actually following my strategy, I wouldn't have traded up last year. We would have already had the 8th pick.

But I would've given up the 2nd,3rd,4th to move up and get Fairley after our initial pick of Locker, but I don't think that would have been enough.

I should also say I'm not a fan of trading away future picks, so although I would want to move up and target someone, i would only do so with current players/picks.

9. Alex1939

The one person I would really want us to trade and up get would be Blackmon. But I realize that would be a luxury pick for us and our D-line would be in trouble.

But I think you got to give Locker some great WRs that he can have for a long time.

10. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Hey JC, i too agree that FBs lifespan is shorter. I also agree with the general trend of an undrafted rookie to be our FB if we don't resign Hall.

Still, last year was a very bad showing for both the o-line and FB in terms of run blocking. However, i still pin our troubles more on the o-line (specifically the interior) than on Hall.

While i didnt make it a point to watch Hall (and if some1 did please correct me) but i really think he can still ball, based on his very consistent blocking over the years (including last year to my knowledge).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar