Titans 2012 draft by position

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Now that we know we currently have 7 picks, what do you think the breakdown will be?

I'm thinking 6 defense, 1 offense. At some point we grab an O line, 4th-7th. I think we grab 3 D line, corner, safety, and a linebacker.

Given current situation and reality, this draft I would like to see a lot of defensive picks.

My future philosophy would be often to trade up and almost always take a late round QB. Would you give up our 1st,2nd,3rd for 1st,7th to draft DE Coples or WR Blackmon? I probably would. I'd like to see us be aggressive every year, get the 1 guy that will make a difference for years. With QB the most important position, what is the harm in drafting someone with the occasional 4th mostly 5th to 7th rounds and always have backups competing and try your luck at finding a gem? I'd also frequently try to pick up late round picks via any deals for cheap depth and occasional gems.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Nope.

The Jags tried that with Derrick Harvey. 11 sacks in three years. It didn't work out too well.

If we went with your strategy last year we would be without McCarthy, Casey and Ayers.

3. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I wouldn't trade up this year at all. Actually I don't think it would be a terrible idea to trade out of the first round altogether this year. Perhaps we could trade our first to a team like the Raiders who doesn't pick until the end of round 3, for their first and a late round pick next year. Our biggest areas of need are on the d-line and this draft is pretty deep there, so I think we could get some impact players in the 2nd and 3rd, then grab a center in the 4th. Anyway we'd be set up nicely for next year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I think Coples is a POS and wouldn't take him at 20.

I think we need a pair of 2nd and 3rd round defensive prospects more than we need another me first POS or a receiver.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

you mad bro?

im one of the bigger believers in coples but even i wouldnt trade up for him....if anything trade down and try to get an extra first next year where there is more talent that we need along with a later pick this year....

6. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

Drafting a DE is almost always a gamble.

Usually DE's are products of a system in the NFL. Some DE's can succeed without support but are rare. I think we would need additional blitzing by our LB's to help support our pass rush affectiveness. If not, 5 OLmen outnumber 4 DLmen and could easily prevent a succesful pass rush.

7. pettso

pettso Starter

My guess is:

2 D-line
    1 DB
    1 LB
    2 O-line (One C, one developmental)
    1 WR

In terms of rounds... my guess if they were doing it by position not by BPA, their ideal should be:

1st: DE/DT
    2nd: DE/DT
    3rd: C
    4th: BPA (Defense) (S/LB/CB)
    5th: BPA (Defense) (S/LB/CB)
    6th: O-line (Developmental)
    7th: WR (Developmental)

Random thought, what are we doing at FB? Is Ahmard coming back for another year? If not, we may try to snipe one in the later rounds.

• High Five High Five x 4
  8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I've thought that way for quite a while now. I remember wanting us to trade up with Detroit to get Suh a couple years back because I knew dude was gonna be a beast. Sometimes it's worth the risk to get those once in a lifetime stars.

I am convinced that Blackmon is gonna be a bonafide star. Yeah I know it'll never actually happen because it costs so much to trade up from where we usually do but I see where you're coming from in your thinking.

9. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

2 DL
    2 DB (1 CB, 1S)
    1 C
    1 LB
    1 WR

Harris & Hutchinson start at G, Amano can be moved there if we replace him at C, Velasco is an excellent backup. No need to draft a G IMO.

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I think you're right on with what our ideal should be and I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's exactly how our draft goes. I have more confidence in our FO after last year's draft. They are fully aware of what our needs are just like we are, and I see them drafting the way you and I think they should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar