Titans '07 Training Camp Preview: Offense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

For the record, I don't necessarily want any Patriots reject if they don't have upside. This is why I didn't want Meshawn. But Reinfeldt said he is looking for experience to add to the group and I can't imagine where else that might come from.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Caldwell will probably not get cut but if somehow he did become available I still don't think we are looking at a huge upgrade. Take any of our top 4 WRs and let them start for the Pats and I bet they put up similar numbers or better. Maybe it was a stretch to say Caldwell isn't better than Orr but Orr is probably going to be cut anyway. I'm not sure he is any better than Roby or R. Williams potentially and I sure wouldn't cut one of our rookies to make room for him. We have three guys starting their 3rd years in the league and unless these guys are simply no good I see no reason they can't contribute as well as a guy like Caldwell who basically put up very pedestrian numbers his first 4 years with the Chargers. Roby and Williams put up equal numbers their rookie year as it took Caldwell until his 3rd year to produce.

Yes, Chad Jackson will be on the Pats final roster anyway so he isn't going to be available. Now IF he was cut that would mean he would be a REJECT which would also mean there is a high probability he isn't worth fooling with if he can't demonstrate enough potential as a young high draft pick to even warrant a roster spot.

Kelly Washington will have to have a monster pre-season to get a roster spot in place of Caldwell or Jackson. Washington could be looked on as an upgrade to a Roby or Gage (assuming they don't step up) so maybe he would be worth a look but keep in mind, the only way any of these guys really looks worth bringing in is if guys like R. Williams, Gage, Roby, or Orr totally flop and we don't know who our #2 WR is going to be. Then maybe they try a Caldwell or Wahington out because of desperation.

Keep in mind that if any of these guys are cut it might not be until late in the pre-season when they would join the Titans which means less time to learn the offense and develop good timing with VY.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

You are right if someone doesn't step up and take the #2 job. I just hope it doesn't come to that. Now if Caldwell was on the team as the #3 I might feel a little better because that would mean someone stepped up and with Jones, [whoever - insert name of WR who dominates in pre-season] and Caldwell things might not be so bad.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

If a quality FA comes available, I'm all for trying to pick them up. But I get the feeling that MR is more just giving lip service to the idea of picking up a FA WR for 2 reasons: 1) to serve notice to agents that we'd like to get in the game if anyone comes available, and 2) to serve notice to our current players that no one is a lock and they all need to prove themselves.

Either that or maybe they know of someone that is going to be released - but up to this point they haven't shown a great deal of motivation to actually bring in that vet WR like they keep saying they might do. Seems to me that the WRs we have now will be the WRs we take the field with in September... and I'm generally ok with that as long as they show us something in pre season.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I seriously doubt MR needs to motivate our WRs. After drafting 3 WRs I would hope everyone else on the roster (obviously the rookies know what they have to do) already knows roster spots are up for competition. It isn't like we have anybody who can really rest on their laurels. Brandon Jones might be the only one who could have a lackluster pre-season and still get a pass but even at that I doubt he would be playiing as much.

Also MR will be watching the wire each time a WR gets cut and if it is a player he likes he will be sure to get in touch. Guys out of a job are not hard to get hold of.

As far as bringing on a vet now there apparently isn't anyone the are really interested in due to age or contract so they are waiting to either work a trade or grab a guy who is cut. With the CAP situation for most teams we probably will not see many high profile WRs let go like we might in other years.

6. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

WHy are you guys even considering Caldwell? He drops passes like its his job and his eyes are just so annoying......so annoying

7. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

I wouldn't mind Caldwell at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar