Titans '07 Training Camp Preview: Offense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: The Tennessee Titans begin their quest on Friday when training camp opens in hopes to better the 8-8 record of 2006. With turnover due to free agency, a top defensive player suspended, and even the head coach's future not guaranteed, there are even more questions surrounding the Titans than usual entering a training camp.

Never before has there been so many unproven solutions facing a team needing to claw its way out of the cellar defensively and replace much of the offensive production lost from last season.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. fltitan

fltitan Guest

Thanks for the great read Jeff the questions at the end of each position group are excellent. If VY can improve his passing game both getting the ball to the right guy on time and accurate enough for them to make the catch our offense will be hard to stop(I believe our WR's will be better than most think). What VY can do with his legs will make the passing game better, when he stars to move around we will have guys come wide open and he also impoves the running game. I think we are in good shape at RB mainly because of our OL, Brown may have some great games. Offense will be fine the D is my biggest concern, I'll look foward to your evaluation of the defense . Thanks again Jeff

3. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

At the Quarterback position Vince can't go anywhere but up. All he showed us last year was pure athleticism, leadership and the will to win. All of those are part of who Vince is and won't change season to season. He never showed much as a dominant QB in the traditional sense so with a year and another Camp under his belt I expect higher pass efficiency, improved defensive reads and a more dynamic passing game. Add that to what we already have and I'm giddy at thought of how good he can be.

At the Runningback position I think we'll see why Brown beat out Henry in years past (pre injury onslaught) as he regains his previous form. Add to that the huge potential of CHenry and White and our vastly improved Oline and Fullback situation and I expect just as big if not bigger production from the run game.

At Wideout we have the most exciting competition at camp. The three third years, the three newbies, Orr and Gage will all be competing for six or seven spots. It's hard not to be excited about seeing the unique skills of Paul Williams, Davis and Filani this preseason. With a glut of wideouts in the early rounds this year I think we may have gotten 2 to 3 steals between those three guys. I have nothing but confidence in three starters stepping it up in Camp and distinguishing themselves. We may have some of the greatest depth at the position in the league. 5 wide! Chow?

4. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

I think our offense will be much improved this year despite our losses. Just having Vince on the field takes a bit of pressure off everyone else. He must be accounted for, and not like most QB's. Linemen can't commit so fast, corners can't take their eyes off him, lb's blitzing have to worry, do I attack the RB or the QB, etc, etc, etc...

He won't do it alone, but he helps everyone...

5. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

It's nice to be able to read a fair review of our offensive situation. I would like to think that much of travis Henry's success last year was due to a very effective O line, and that one of our other backs can step up and have as good a year behind those same guys...

As you stated, our much hyped loss of Bennet and Wade may have been over stated given how soft our passing game was last year...Optimist that I am, all we really need is one receiver to find his game, and VY to improve his passing game just a little...I'm ready for some football !!!

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If the running game isn't effective VY will have his hands full however I think we will be decent running the ball with the backs we have and our OL.

The WR situation is another story. A couple of guys really need to step up as you said but if they don't we have the biggest group of medicre WRs in football. Also, if we have great depth at WR in the eyes of our GM he wouldn't be talking about looking for a reject vet to add to the mix.

Basically what Jeff wrote was we are looking to see what the Pats reject, expel from their bowels and somehow that player is going to upgrade us? If that is really the case we are in pretty bad shape IMO. I'd rather start a little slow and have guys with potential playing and getting better than some vet reject who was never that good to begin with. Here is a list of the guys we are excited about:

Kelly Washington, has been about as productive in his 4 NFL seasons as Bennett is in one (9 catches for 115 yards last year).
    Reche Caldwell, had his breakout season last year with 61 catches for 760 yards. Not real impressive when that is by far your best season and you are catching passes from Tom Brady.
    Jabar Gaffney was electrifying last year with his 11 catches for 142 yards.
    This guy is was a Texan reject.
    Chad Jackson, isn't a vet and hasn't proven anything anyway.

Caldwell, Gaffney and Jackson all contributed so little they prompted the Patriots to go on a spending spree in an effort to replace all three. There is no way Moss, Welker or Stallworth are getting released. I'd rather keep Orr to see what he can do than bring in one of these rejects, IMO. If we didn't have so much invested in draft picks this year and two years ago I might consider Caldwell in a backup roll but thinking these guys are upgrades is really a stretch and if they are we are in worse shape than we thought.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

way too early to call jackson a reject, he was only a rookie.

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Soxcat, I agree. I don't see how adding one of the Pats rejects after camp is over would improve us at all. Just not enough time to learn the offense and get in synch with VY.

I'm very optimistic for our offense because of the OLINE, VY, Hall, and our TEs. I think the OLINE and Hall will open holes for the RBs. The TEs will put pressure on the LBers in coverage and VY will make every DC squirm trying to prepare for him. The WRs will benefit greatly from getting single coverage, play action, and VY's ability to get outside the pocket and buy extra time.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Caldwell a reject?

He put up good numbers for them last year. I wouldn't consider him inferior to any of the new pats receivers. He certainly isn't making big money so why would they cut him?

Amazing that soxcat considers a guy with 760 yards and 61 catches not equal to orr. Is 61 catches an example of contributing little?

Edit: Chad jackson was a 22 year old rookie last year. My guess is that the pats will keep 6 Wrs and gaffney will be the odd man out.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I certainly wouldn't be upset if Caldwell ended up here. I'd have more faith in Jones and Caldwell than Jones and whoever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar