Training Camp Titans’ Mike Martin earns some first-team reps

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

One of the defensive standouts for the Titans when they scrimmaged Atlanta earlier this week was rookie defensive tackle Mike Martin.

Whether lining up as a nose tackle or in the “three” position – on the outside shoulder of the guard – the 6-1, 306-pound Martin managed to get into the Falcons’ backfield on a number of occasions.

The question that arose: Could Martin, who was playing primarily against Atlanta’s second- and third-teamers, replicate that kind of success against first-teamers?

Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray said Martin will soon get some opportunities to show that in practice and possibly preseason games.

“He did a tremendous job (against the Falcons),” Gray said of Martin, a third-round pick out of Michigan. “We stunted and gave him a chance to move around, and he did what we needed him to do. Again, it’s good when he’s going against their second or third team.

“You’ll be surprised. In practice, we’re going to put him in with the first group (at times). Sometimes it’s, `Hey let me see what you can do with those guys,’ because that’s who you’re going to play against in the NFL. Then evaluate him there to see if he can hold up there, and if he’s doing that on a consistent basis, then he’ll be a good player for you.

“So we have to pick and choose where we put him and give him a chance to go out there and play against good guys on our team, and then hopefully he’ll get a chance to do that in games.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

He'll be one of those I watch Saturday night.

3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I hope he keeps it up against the 1st stringers. Martin/Casey could be a great Titan's duo for years to come.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm more excited about this guy than Wright or Brown.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I was hoping for him to start. Casey & Martin, with Klug is pass rush situations... Casey should be a pro-bowler this year.

6. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

I think Casey and Martin will be the best DT duo in NFL. Can't wait to see these two on the field together.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm also very excited to see Martin play, he's my choice for the 2nd DT position. Marks & Smith suck and Klug is not an every down DT, so Martin should have no trouble taking that 2nd DT job.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

It's gonna be funny watching all those 6'4"+ Centers and Guards tryna block Martin and Casey. I don't think either is even 6'1". Not so easy blocking those guys, they're both very compact and explosive.

9. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Very excited for Martin. This was the one player I wanted us to draft for sure.

10. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

I hope this means we can send the nut grabber packing! He has shown me nothing but bad attitude

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar