Time to try something else (run game woes)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I've calmed down from the game, so I know I'm not overreacting when I post this..

There is no excuse for an embarrassing stat like 14 carries for 9 yards (our RB’s production today). Something is seriously WRONG with this organization. If it were just today I wouldn’t be was critical. But this is the 17th straight game I can remember where we’ve seen absolutely EMBARRASSING production from the run game.

Say what you want about who deserves the blame, CJ/O-Line/Matthews/Munchak. Honestly if you can’t back it up with stats than to me you’re just an idiot who wants to blame the guy who got paid. Here are the facts.

-None of our runningbacks have been productive since 2010
    -On any given play at least 1 and up to 3 of our offensive linemen are getting blown up by their assignments like we’re a high school football team playing the superbowl champs.
    -Predictability and play calling are still an issue (If the running game hasn’t worked all game why would you run on 2nd and 10)
    -CJ fuels the fire by always trying to cut back and not taking what he can get.

Those are the facts. And its pretty pathetic that we’ve had to watch it for as long as we have. It’s totally justified to call today’s offensive line the worst offensive line in NFL history. I mean one play the ball was hiked and 4 o linemen were immediately pushed back 5 yards by the DL and Stevens was 10 yards back from the line of scrimmage on his ass watching CJ get clobbered for a loss of 4. It was HILARIOUS for the patriots. Just terrible..

I don’t understand how Munchak can downplay these issues any longer. It’s absolutely disgusting how bad our run game is. Something needs to change! I fully expect a trade to be made or SOME kind of shakeup this week. I’m almost positive that CJ is only the tip of the iceberg of this problem but at this point I’d be 100% on board for benching him for Reynaud if it will get the morons to shut up and realize what I’ve been saying this whole time is true. Something needs to be done though, the organization owes it to the fans to not sit back and just let this continue, at least TRY. If that means throwing the ball 60 times a game so be it. I just can’t see how we can continue on like nothing is wrong almost 2 years after the fact.

• High Five High Five x 6
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Agreed

I do not think that CJ is the same back he was, but it does not excuse OL play. Flat out terrible.

If we do not have the personal to run between the tackles, we need to change our play calling.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Just get us a NFL RB! That's what we're missing.

4. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

TST. I think they are very aware of the line issues. They brought in 2 centers, and signed a guard. (one they should not have signed imo)

I believe its lack of options rather than thinking everything is fine.

5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

We once were a great running team, until we hired Bruce Matthews.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

As big of a need the Brown filled in the second, I am not sure if we could afford to pass up one of the OL prospects. The line just looks like they need all the help they can get.

7. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

After this season, I believe we will still have the same pressing issues to try to fix

Oline, pass rush, safety.

Hopefully one of them gets fixed cause we need 2 players at both positions, thats a lot of holes to try to fill.

8. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

I agree with basically everything you said in your post - except for this. I mean were all Titan fans here; lets be practical and come to expect the expected, meaning the Titans FO and Coach will bury their heads in the sand and continue to trot CJ out there week in and week out because thats all we got to work with behind a crap o-line, and according to Coach Munk he seems to "like" our O-Line and namely centers. This mediocre franchise will continute to stay medicore because the FO dont make many splashes if ANY at all. So lets just sit back, grin and bare it because more of the same is coming - with nooooo trades or shakeups in plain sight. Thats just the way it is, sadly.

9. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I remember a few years ago wondering what it'd be like having a passing game that was actually productive.. now I wonder what it's like to have a running game. It'd be nice to have both sides working at the same time instead of taking turns sucking penis.

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

It's too late to fix it. That's what you do in the off-season. We kept the SAME blocking scheme, and brought in 97-year old Hutchinson. There was a TON of free agent centers, that we played the cheap game on.. when we have a ton of money to spend. LeRoy Harris still sucks. Velasco sucks, and sadly is better than Amano.

So most of the time the DL is penetrating way too early, CJ is all about the big run. When defenses are penetrating early, hit the hole and go.. if they're over-aggressive there normally is an open hole. Stop dancing around waiting for a big play. Plant your feet, and GO!

CJ will be 27 during this season. Most RBs don't make it past 30. CJ has 1,198 carries already in his career, I'm not sure his frame can handle that work load. We will never see the old CJ. He can still be a 1300yard back, but needs a better OL.

Regardless, look for a long year of hating CJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar