Time for Scout Changes?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by kenny, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenny

kenny Starter

We have had a lot of change in the leadership of this team. We have real coaches for the first time in a long time IMO. Some of which are overly qualified for the positions they hold. All that said, is it time for some fresh blood in the scouting department?? I have seen a lot of guys that we have looked over in several drafts go on to become great pros and the people we took ahead of them not really make an impact. Is this the result of poor scouting, or poor selection by Webster, or both? I would like to think scouting, but can also see that we may have GM issues. I like the guy, but I would have really liked better results from this draft. We clearly wanted to trade out of 11, but once the deal fell through shouldn't we have had a better back up plan than Lewan? Don't get me wrong, I can see how he will help next year and maybe next years draft is not gonna have a good LT; but a 1st round pick barely out of the top 10 should make your team better from the day we get them. Just my thoughts. What are yours??

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

LOL - they haven't even put on a helmet and they are already busts..

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

That's all fair. We'll just have to wait and see. Training camp is sooner than people may realize. I feel management did a overall good job this off season tho.

The Lewan pick surprised me, but Lewan is a good player. Anyone who believes BPA is the way to draft players has to be happy with the pick.

4. kenny

kenny Starter

I didn't say anyone was a bust. I didn't make ANY comment about the play of anyone we drafted this year. I did say I would have liked to of seen a player taken at 11 that would make an impact more for us this year.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

We have had sub-par player development for years. Maybe some of it is scouting but we have picked up several "freak athletes" at value spots and been unable to develop their football skills. That seems to be where we are deficient.

Ben troupe, Tyrone calico, Chris Henry, Taylor Thompson etc. they show a flash of potential and you never see anything else after their initial season (or two).

• High Five High Five x 4
  6. kenny

kenny Starter

I would have to agree with that. Hopefully with a VERY MUCH improved coaching staff we have fix that issue.

7. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

The same can be said of all 32 NFL teams. Do all 32 teams have poor scouts and poor GMs?

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Regarding this statement ^^^^^

First off, scouts only evaluate players. The GM makes the picks. Now to the rest.

While you do want someone who can make a significant impact right away it is still more important to get a player who will be strong for the long term. LT is the second most important position on the team. With the exception of Jason Peters all the top LTs in the NFL have been taken high in the draft. And personally I like a GM that thinks ahead rather than catching up. There could be a good LT in the first round next year but we may need that first round pick for a QB.

As to the player himself. This is someone who could be a starter for us for 10-12 years. With All pro potential. If he had come out in 2013 he would have been the number 1 pick. He (Along with Matthews and Robinson) graded out higher than any of the OTs last year. And Michigan is an absolute OL factory. They know how to develop linemen for the NFL.

• High Five High Five x 3
  9. vengeance0909

vengeance0909 Starter

how do you know he won't be playing this year?

10. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

How do you have a better backup plan? You either take Lewan, you take someone who isn't a fit/need, or you reach for someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar