Thurman suspended for season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Vigsted, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Bengals LB Odell Thurman has been suspended for the rest of the season (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2605039).

I know there's a lot of critique of the NFL recently with players getting into trouble, but am I the only one who thinks the root of the problem is when they're in college?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yup, we should have taken him instead of roos...

3. Brian

Brian Big Fan

You saying the guy never got drunk until he went to college?

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I have no idea when he started drinking or whatnot, but shouldn't college be the place where you correct these issues?

5. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I think college take it to another level. In High School you are big in your town and maybe a couple parents know about you at the games but for the most part you are a big fish in a small pond. Popular year but you are local town boy the cops give you a break your still basically under your parent watch.

College is totally different. You are out on your own. You are on national TV. You have people all over the country know who you are. All of it because you are great at a sport. A Big fish now dumped in a HUGE pond. That jump has to be huge IMO. They still get allot of protection from the local law enforcement. Allot of parties are on campus because you can not go to bars yet. Campus security does not really care, if you are a star athlete some chump earning housing credits is not going to turn in the star RB for most anything. The players get use to this mentality that they are above some rules because of who they are.

NFL is the real world. You are a medium fish in a HUGE pond and there is always a bigger fish looking to take your spot. The law could give a crap about you locally and some I am sure get a kick out of bringing these guys in and getting there 15 minutes. The guy is 21+ now is going out to bars and doing the same stuff they did in college but because it wasn't in a frat house the guy does not get away with it. Some of the vets get away with it and it just pollutes the players mind thinking that they are again above certain rules.

Just my thoughts on how it builds. It is not something that we can really avoid in today’s society but players like Lawrence Taylor and his issues and Clerrett crashing and burning it might open some of the guys minds up to the idea of treasuring what they have at that moment. Or that is my rainbow sunshine view of the evolution of the NFL.

6. Brian

Brian Big Fan

My bad. I was addressing your original post regarding the "root of the problem".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar