Three players the Titans shouldn't draft.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Playmaker, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

About 150 scouts think that is a dumb statement.

You bash 2 backs mcfadden and earlier mendenhall who are complete 215 lb backs and hype a 195 lb kid who did nothing before this year? The main reason for drafting him is as a return man.

Now i also think mcfadden is a bit over rated and do wonder why another back, feliz jones was just as effective in that system behind that line. And i have doubts about his durability in the nfl but to say johnson is better because of some highlights is insane.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree that Felix Jones with a little more size could be better than McFadden. I also believe that a guy like Chris Johnson playing on USC could be hyped way higher than he is now so we have to be careful to over analyze. IMO guys hit their stride at different times, some early in college and then flatten out and others mature and become studs later. Chris Johnson seems like one of those guys who is just starting to find his groove and if used correctly can be very effective. The real comparison or argument (RollTide) should be if Felix Jones and Johnson are both available who do you take?

3. It depends on how you use him. Just look at a guy like Reggie Bush. He's not nearly as useful as a traditional RB, but when he is splitting carries with another back and lining up at receiver and being used as a dual threat out of the backfield then he's very effective.

Chris Johnson could be that type of guy. He doesn't have Bush's quickness certainly, but he has more straight line speed and he'd still be a threat.

Also, a speed guy like Johnson could be a real threat in the shotgun, or even in the option if they run it occasionally. And that makes Vince harder to account for as well.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I bash McFadden, not Mendenhall. Saying Mendenhall will be average isn't bashing, it's an opinion.
    And I'm glad those scouts do disagree. It's fun every year while they're completely wrong on 60% of the guys that I pegged on a forum.

And Felix Jones is better than McFadden, as well.

lol @ "he was playing against the SEC". So? Every time he gained yardage he had at least a 5 ft gap to sprint through, and nobody near him half the time. Don't buy in to the myth.

5. reo

reo Starter

Couple quick things.

For starters Johnson didn't have a good Junior year b/c he had a bad case of turf toe. Kinda hurts a speed back.

And when it comes to how Johnson performs vs the top teams, yeah his OL sucked and were probably getting blown up. Rice could do it b/c he's breaking tackles either way. A speed back needs a hole to run through and CJ has the vision to find a lot of holes. He's going to be a very good back in the NFL if used correctly.

The main player I wouldn't draft:
    Felix Jones. Waaay overrated. Product of the system and McFadden. Watch his reel... its worse than McFaddens in terms of breaking tackles and/or running through huge holes. The guy looks like he's afraid of contact. Johnson will at lest initiate the contact. Jones doesn't.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Anyone still want to take my bet the Titans don't take a RB on day one?

7. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

I wouldn't bet on ANYTHING going into this year's draft. We could end up with anyone at this point.

8. reo

reo Starter

What was the bet? Keep in mind I'll be a broke college student for another 8 months :D

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I work in education. I have no money to wager either. ;)

I was thinking along the lines of one of those LP Field $8 Coronas. :brow:

10. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Yea i don't think there's any way we draft a rb either. We've used two 2nd round picks the last two years and neither of them have been total busts so I have no idea what we would draft one for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar