Thorton and a MLB in for the nickle?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bobo, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Just watched a little of older Colts games and noticed Throton lining up as a NB. Now if the MLB spot gets better, maybe we could run 3 lb's some more in the nickle? Seems like we don't do it much, but our LB's never had much speed. Or maybe Hope is good enough in coverage to play the NB and still keep 3 lb's on the field.

On the other hand, we have two guys that may be pretty good NB's - Wooly and Fuller.

One of Jeff's questions for Larry Stone about scheme changes got me wondering about this.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I would like to see more freak int's from our LB corp due to more pressure up front. I'd like to see effective, disruptive pass rushing that causes deflections, fumbles, stuff like that... There is nothing crazier than watching a mad hatter freak run out of a LB for a TD... This is what Bulluck likes to do.

3. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Wasn't our D-Line around the top of the league for sacks last year?? Or am I just wishing that statement to be true?

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

oh yeah. KVB had crazy totals. However...that constant disruption, the pocket collapsing quickly... good things happen when quarterbacks are hurried. That's all I'm saying. Thornton seems quick... I hope he's the type that swoops in and makes something great out of what is otherwise good.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Yep. I'd imagine Thorton has better blitzing skills than Sirmon. And if we had a guy to play inside who could do that too....imagine the everchanging blitzes in the face of the opposing QB's.

How bout AJ Hawk? :brow: Ok, maybe more realistically Bobby Carpenter in the 2nd? :brow:

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

neitehr play MLB

d'qwell jackson is our guy.

7. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I agree D'Qwell Jackson is the way to go in the 2nd round. Trade Sirmon.

8. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Sirmon says he is willing to earn his spot..... so keep him draft Jackson (i really like this kid) and make them play for the spot. Then we'll have Jackson on the field and Sirmon as a quality backup until next year

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

I like Sirmon's mentality concerning all this. I'd hesitate to discard a player who thinks "team first"...

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Why waste a 2nd round pick on a guy who might not even beat our Sirmon for a starting job? Besides, only 2 LBs play in the nickel so the MLB is not going to be playing 1/2 the time. Another problem with Jackson is he isn't a big physical LB. IMO we need a more physical LB who specializes in stopping the run.

Having athletic LBs does allow us to use the nickel a little less and stay in our base more often. That allows us to be stronger against the run in those situations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar