This is why you must have ELITE Linebackers...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Johnnyrex, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

... or you'll get run-over!!

I feel like our defensive line is stuck between trying to defend the run and the pass!!
    They are hesitant to go after the QB because our linebackers are being
    trucked by the opponents running game. It's hard to do some pressure
    when you know that the guy behind you just can't get it.

Ppl say stop the run and then go after the QB, but it's exactly
    this that is leaving us dry out there. Those TD's from play-action are result
    of our Dline over-commiting to the run.

We need linebackers who can disengage blocks and bring down a RB head
    on, one on one.

B.Ruud is terrible ... he simply can't play the run. And Ayers and
    Witherspoon aren't helping either.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I gave you an it sucks because you got it backwards. In a 4-3 defense you want the line to be able to control the line of scrimmage, stop the run and keep blockers off the backers. That way the linebackers can run sideline to sideline and make plays.

There is plenty of blame to go around and the linebackers have failed as well as everybody else but if you had elite players up front the linebackers wouldn't have to be. The D-line is the most important part of a 4-3 defense.

I also think that our D-line techniques(Wider one gap aggressive up the field) in the Fisher era made it easier for a guy like Tulloch to run sideline to sideline and make plays while the technique we play now makes it harder.

3. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

So who puts pressure on Shaub on those rollouts when even the unblocked DE is commiting to the run??

...and then you say that fisher's method was better because the DE went after the QB no matter what. So are you agreeing with me or not??

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

If our DL is "overcommitting" to the run, how come we are still getting run over??

I agree with RollTide, the problem starts up front. I hate to call out guys, but Shaun Smith in particular has struck me as completely useless, Sen'Derrick Marks to a lesser degree as well. I don't notice our ends playing badly, but that's because I don't notice them at all, they might as well not be on the field...

As for Ruud, everybody knew before the signing that he isn't as good against the run as Tulloch, but he's better in coverage. Yet he is still 2nd on the team in tackles and has almost as many as Witherspoon and Ayers combined...

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

They are not rollouts they are play action bootlegs and the DE is responsible to maintain contain in any defense. The linebacker should be covering somebody like the TE who was open all day against us not chasing the QB except on a blitz. The TE is usually the primary receiver on those plays coming across the field.

Our DEs especially Morgan is horrible in contain.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Look back on any season where the Titans had a really good defense. They had a really good line.

In 99-2000 Kearse was a force and we had other good linemen like Thornton and Holmes.

In 2002-2003 we had Kevin Carter-Kearse-Robaire Smith and Haynesworth.

In 2007-2008 we had AH playing out of his mind with KVB.

When our D-line is good the whole defense is usually good. Of course you have to have good players at every level but our defense needs to get better up front.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. EnglandTitan66

EnglandTitan66 "The Plump Prince"

I haven't seen Ruud win one battle with a TE this year or anyone he's had to open-field cover. In run support he gets caught up too easily inside and often takes the wrong line. Peter Sirmon ( circa end-of-career ) Lite and is a liability.

Over Tulloch - really ? Go watch some Detroit games this year. His open field match-up record is still iffy but his leadership and hitting ability in run support has been unquestionable.

8. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

So if you have DE's who are horrible on contain, what do you do?
    The coaches job is to adjust the scheme to the players, and the MLB job is getting the RB down.

9. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

what do you guys think of starting klug at dt over smith? anytime he has been in i have personally been impressed...then rotate smith and marks in as needed but starting klug over smith and i was one that always wanted us to bring back tully from the beginning...i also thought we should of taken carlos dunlap who has been a beast so far in his career over morgan but DE was a need so i couldnt really complain as we fit the need just not who i wanted exactly

10. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

"To say it was a tough day for Titan linebackers is putting it mildly. The three starters combined for a -10.2 grade with each player struggling in his own right. It all starts with the man in the middle where Barrett Ruud (-4.2) is doing anything but dispel the suggestion that the Titans were unwise in letting Stephen Tulloch go. While the former Titan is now ranked joint first amongst inside linebackers, the former Buccaneer stands second last with a pitiful -12.5 grade. Ruud’s run defending was alarmingly poor against the Texans where he graded negatively on 12 separate occasions, making positive plays only when left unblocked or facing wide receivers like Jacoby Jones."

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/10/24/re-focused-texans-titans-week-7/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar