This is the 3rd year in a row the Titans are...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

This is the 3rd year in a row the Titans are the last team to sign their 1st round pick. I’m not worried the deal won’t get done before training camp, but why has this become a trend? Do you guys think it looks bad for the Titans to always be dragging their feet in signing their 1st rounder? I mean, the picks are slotted anyway, there shouldn’t be any issues here. The offset language isn’t that big of a deal that it should be hindering things. One year being last to sign your pick, yes I can see it. But 3??

Keep in mind, Kendall Wright was 2nd to last to sign 4 years ago (Justin Blackmon was last).

Mariota will be there for camp, I’m not worried about that. But this doesn’t help the Titans reputation (whether they earned it or not) as being a cheap team.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Funny, I had a feeling this is what the thread was going to be about before I even clicked it.

I really don't know whether it makes them look bad or not in the eyes of the league or the players. But it is certainly a strange trend.

3. SuperMariota

SuperMariota Starter

I'm going to go home on a limb and say it has more due to the business side of the org. Now that Steve has been locked in for another year. I assume something will get done shortly.

Crosses fingers.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I knew this thread was coming and I will say the same thing I did the last two years: Does not matter as long as he is signed by camp.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think we do this routinely because of offset language. After getting burned on multiple 1st picks we probably want all the outs we can get away with in the event another of our guys busts.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I don't doubt he will be signed by camp. But I am a little curious as to why this has become a trend with us.

7. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

I don't think either side has any butthurt over the issue as of now.

It will get done.

There is no leverage on either side yet. No reason to get it done.

The Titans will try to add offset language from now until camp.

Either Mariota's camp caves in that time, or a week before camp they have all the leverage and the Titans cave because it is really a non issue.

Zero chance camp starts without Mariota. Zero.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I am a little curious too, emphasis on the word little :)

9. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

It's probably more of an agent trying to hustle the best deal he can for his client. Even though the money is slotted, theres still some things to be worked out. One side will cave soon. But I'm sure it's not a huge hurdle to jump for either side. Both sides know there's no reason it has to get done right out of the gate.

10. kenny

kenny Starter

I know it SHOULD be done by camp, but Wright held out for 5 days, and Warmack was a camp hold out as well. Neither are a Franchise QB, and I am sure the team will have more of a sense of urgency about signing him. I sure hope so. However, when Webster was asked about it this week he said, "I do not see an issue moving forward, but I also do not see an issue with a guy missing a few days."

If that is true it is crazy. How can a GM not have an issue with his starting rookie QB missing ANY snaps, let alone "A few days"? I would think it is a GM trying to posture for an agent. However, to this fan it seems like a silly comment to make following a 2-14 season.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar