They said it, not me: Warner's better than Manning

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky </em> <p>This ought to generate quite a bit of debate.</p> <p>Here's <a href="http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2645_Warner_sur-passes_all_expectations.html" target="_blank">a link</a> to a Cold, Hard Football Facts article, which takes a thorough look at <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ari" target="_new">Arizona Cardinals</a> Super Bowl-bound quarterback <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1682" target="_new">Kurt Warner</a>, and offers quite a case that he's better than <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1428" target="_new">Peyton Manning</a> -- particularly when it comes to the playoffs.</p> <p>A snippet:</p> <blockquote> <p>Warner is far less likely to lay an egg in the postseason:</p> <p>Manning has had a postseason passer rating of less than 40 three different times in 15 games.</p> <p>Warner has never had a game that bad, let alone three -- in his worst statistical game, his passer rating was 56.2.</p> </blockquote> <p>Have a look, and discuss.</p> <p>Please excuse me for a bit -- I'm not a big believer in people's willingness not to shoot the messenger, so I'm taking cover.</p>

More...

2. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

He's not better than Manning, because he's reliant on a system and players around him, but I believe he fits perfectly into what Arizona wants to do. I believe this year he deserved MVP honors since assuming that honor is what it stands for and this SEASON he was that guy.

You can't fault Warner for his bad stretch because they had wrapped up their division early (to omahacolt) making his situation meaningless. When the games mattered, no QB played better this year than Kurt Warner imo. I said it before the playoffs started, and feel conviction 3 weeks later as he enters the Super Bowl.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I dunno. I think he is better.

3....... superbowl in 11 years is all I need to know. That's what it is all about.

Peyton has more 4,000 yd seasons for sure. But Warner has 3 himself. So he's no slouch. And every year Warner started 16 he got 4,000 yards. So clearly he's that kind of qb. If you look at the averages, they are pretty much the same statistically. So really all Peyton has is durability over Warner. That counts for something. But those superbowls trump it.

The qb rating is pretty much the same around 94.0 too.

But 3 superbowls is big time. That's like Tom Brady, John Elway, Bradshaw, Montana territory. Peyton just hasn't gotten it done. In fact, in one of his worst years the team wins the superbowl. So I just think Warner is better. Probably the better grocery bagger too.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you could compare the weapons peyton has had throughout his career and the ones warner has had when he's been successful. i'm sure they put up very similar numbers, the difference is the performances in the playoffs.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Hmmm. That sounds just like...Peyton Manning.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I like Kurt more cause he loves to air it out and will take chances deep.

Him and Larry puts on a much better show than Manning and Wayne.

7. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

On the field I despise Peyton, but he is a better QB than Warner hands down if each were given the same talent around them. I love Warner, but we saw what he did in New York (I'd say a lot of people forgot about that experiment) and most called him a product of the Martz system.)

I believe Peyton makes everyone around him better, whereas Warner is dependent on talent around him, not necessarily making them any better since he requires them to already be good in order to succeed.

I do think it's a lot closer than the media or mass public would like to believe though. Yet another example of how important a veteran QB is...I really wish teams would stop paying young QBs so much damn money and let them earn it first before hitting a massive payday.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

How many QBs have won a superbowl with two different franchises?

I personally can't think of any. That would be a pretty amazing accomplishment.

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Is he better than Dan Marino?

10. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

The Greatest Show on Turf, where did that saying come from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar