There is a case to be made for bringing in...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

I agree with TBC to a degree. I think Hawk will be productive given the chance. Now in his 2nd season he should know the O and should have no excuses given the playing time. Time to give up on Davis and Williams IMO.

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

You are correct Sir!! My point was just that I think the Saints are one of those offenses that can make any WR look good. Very deceiving.

3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Well, I hear Jerry Porter might be available these days.......NOT! :ha::rolleyes:

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Drew Breeze is one of those QB's that can make any receiver looks good. Most accurate mofo in the league.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hawk playing this year. Wide receiver, unlike running back, typically takes some time to learn because it's not as instinctive. RB's either run left right, or up the middle, and can improvise once they get the ball. Wideouts have to learn different patterns and routes for EVERY PLAY, and consistently be in the right place at the right time to be great. Hawk showed us a few good things last year, I'd like to see quite a few more this year

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Really? No one is going to mention that it's pretty ridiculous to put forth the idea that we'll sign THREE vet WRs, AND draft one in the first round? I'll admit, it's not unlikely, and not a bad idea, that we'll sign one out of Toomer, Henderson, and Washington, but there's ZERO chance that we sign all three, AND draft one in the 1st round. Come on, if we have more than two new names at WR that aren't drafted 3rd round or lower, I'll drop my pants at the opener next season.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I wish we would just bring in one solid FA WR and draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

And D.Henderson wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't mind him either, at the correct cost of course.

7. Morpheus E

Morpheus E Camp Fodder

Me too.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Huh?!?!?!?

OK, lots of problems with this so let's take them one at a time.

First, you want to spend 7mil of our cap on 3 wr's? And when you add a wr in rnd 1 (Harvin or Nicks in your scenario), it's even more. I could understand wanting 1 big time WR...but 3 2nd or 3rd tier guys AND a first rnd WR? WHY?

We're a running team. If you spend 7mil on 3 wr's, more than 50% of the time 4mil of that money is riding the bench since we mostly run 2 WR sets. Not smart nor efficient. Cap-wise, this makes no sense. Would it be nice to have 4 2nd level wr's? Sure, but we can't afford it cap wise and we don't need it for this offense.

Second, Toomer is done. I live in NY and have watched his whole career. He was a very good player in his heyday, but if the WR-needing Giants don't even want him...what does that tell you. He'd be a waste of money. Devery Henderson's a nice player as a slot guy. He's got good speed, but remember where he's coming from. Brees is as good a QB as is in the league right now. Didn't he finish 2nd in single season passing yards? Plus, the Saints have a WR teams want to double to single up Henderson. No one thinks they need to double Gage or any of the other WR's you mentioned. So Henderson will have a lot tougher time getting open AND a lot fewer opportunities...AND a QB who's a lot less accurate! This equation spells waste of money! Nate Washington's a nice guy, but we don't throw it enough to go get Nate Washington. If they're thinking about a WR on his level, it makes more sense to bring BJ back and draft a WR in rnd 1 or 2. We can probably get BJ cheaper AND he already knows the offense.

NO WAY is Gonzalez gonna make under 5mil min. He was already offered a contract that paid him that and more and a decent sb and he refused. But we're gonna get him on the cheap? More importantly, you wanna give up a 2nd rnd pick (or its equivalence) for a guy whos not THAT much better and will only be around for a max of 2 years? That's not smart. This will be one of those situations where it's gonna REALLY cost you to get Gonzo and no guarantee he plays more than one season. What if he gets hurt...ur out a bundle!

And while we're at it, it doesn't make a ton of sense to trade for a premier WR (Boldin) nor sign one if it's gonna cost upwards of 8-10mil. We simply don't throw the ball enough for that kind of cap hit. Plus, no way would I want TO!

I think if they re-sign BJ and draft a WR in rnd 1 or 2, the Titans FO will be happy. And it's time to see what Hawkins can do.

If you think about it, without great wr's, we handily beat the team that won the Super Bowl and moved the ball all day against the Ravens vaunted D in the playoffs. Where is this great NEED for a super WR or 4-5 pretty good ones?

Gut

9. Tull

Tull Starter

I think getting Gonzo would be a BIG help he is a stud and our offense loves the TE. I would pay him big bucks for a 2 year contract. This is a pretty good draft for WR's with speed guys, posession guys and all around talent. I think (hope) this is the year we take a swing at getting a number one guy. Thats all this offense needs.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The question is, are the numbers Gonzo's gonna give you (assuming he stays healthy)...let's say 75 catches for 900yds and 8 TD's...MINUS what Scaife could give you....let's say 55 catches for 550 yds and 4 TD's....which is roughly 20-25 catches for about 400 yds and 5 TD's...worth the xtra cost in cap hit (probably 2 mil) and a 2nd rnd pick who could play for you 4-10 years?

I don't think so. If you think about it, we could use a pass rushing DE, CB, WR, and OC...taking away our 2nd rnd pick for a small improvement in stats is not worth missing out on a very good player who could be a pro bowler at a position of need.

If you trade for Gonzalez, we're gonna have to go for broke for the next 2 years and then have a mini-rebuilding project. As we saw, we were the best team in the playoffs and good enough to win the Super Bowl. Why not be a perennial SB contender instead of a slight increase in chance for only 2 years?

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar