The ugly truth

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Oct 10, 2012.

?
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. Almost, they need to make coaching changes.

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I was fine going after Manning. Well, at first I wasn't. Then when it became apparent we were serious contenders, I admit I got very excited.

It's not like I think we just flat out aren't trying to win. Like I said, it's really about the coaching staff. We went through 14 years of Fisher mediocrity and coming up "just short". I think regardless of how you feel about Fisher, most fans will admit he stuck around at least a season or two too long. Then we finally get rid of him (mutual decision/fired/whatever). And, for the first time in Titans history, we have a chance to start fresh. To wash off that foul Fisher stink. And what do we do? Hand off the reigns to a Fisher disciple, an assistant no less.

Fine. I'll give him a shot. What happens? 9-7. "Just short." Fine. Lockout, new coaching staff, CJ holdout and all that jazz. All in all a decent season that's tough to complain about. OH BOY! I BET WE'RE REALLY GONNA MAKE SOME NOISE NEXT SEASON! Nope. We take a step back in every phase, save special teams. THAT is what is so disheartening for me. This team got significantly worse in Munch's 2nd season, not better. Hence, "heading in the wrong direction".

And I already know what you're going to say. The timing of Fisher's departure limited our options. And that's true. But I absolutely refuse to believe that Mike freaking Munchak was the best available option. Sorry. I just cannot buy that. This was a lame, "safe" move from a franchise that has a history of being lame and "safe".

We hired a Fisher crony and we're getting Fisher results. I for one am not surprised.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Parking Lot B

Parking Lot B Stud Duck

We've been with the Titans through thick and thin. Good times and Bad times, but we still support them. Are we through spending money?? I would say yes, but when some silly little thing comes out with a logo on it, we buy it...Gluttons for punisment! Money can't buy all the laughs we've had with others tailgating, all the great opponent fans we've met, all the Titan Fans from across the country, all the down and dirty cornhole duels, great food and watching drunks trying to get in the Port-a-Pottys. We've had our PSL's too long now to throw in the towel. When we leave this world it won't matter at all how much we spent on the Titans.:greedy:

3. TitanT

TitanT Pro Bowler

I bought a new turkey hat. I keep hoping they give out rubber chickens at a home game.
    [​IMG]

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Ok, so really it is all coming out from the hiring post-Fisher. I certainly understand where you are coming from as I remember (like many) wanting Harbaugh.

Still, I am willing to give Munch a fair chance. Enthusiasm or not. 9-7, 3-4. Even if we end 6-10 it is over-achieve then under-achieve for any realistic expectation.

But we tried!

Bud offered percentage ownership in the franchise for Manning to play here.

My expectations were tempered considerably when we did not land Manning.

I'm not surprised but then again we are in a building phase.

I am impressed with the investment in the stadium and the screens. The entertainment (particularly that utilizing the screen, but everything in general - cheerleaders) is seriously lacking.

Overall, even with a crap D, I am finding this team fun to watch and that is worth something. I hope it is at least fun on Sunday in the first Titans home game vs Colts in the Luck era.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Remember when fans used to complain about Fisher's style of football when the team would run, run, dump to Wycheck for the first down and eventually win 16-13?

Now, the team wins at home in dramatic fashion with a pass-happy offense and fans complain. Personally, the last two home games have been about as entertaining as I could hope. The entire gameday experience is much better and, as long as the team wins, I'm a happy camper.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Based on you avatar, and this pic, I'd say you like hats.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

And that is really what it boils down to. Fans want the team to win. Fans want to win it all, at least once- otherwise it is very frustrating. The frustration that not winning creates CAN be tempered by a great game day experience. We've all experienced that.

This franchise has greatly improved the gameday experience. No argument here from me. Could be a bit better (concessions overpriced and awful) but MUCH better than before with the new screens, sound systems, in-game entertainment etc.

But I think it is going to take some more deep playoff runs and/or an ugly/lucky Lombardi to get the majority of disgruntled fans back on board. Let's be honest. Bud only went after Manning because he KNEW that the majority of fans would HEAVILY $upport the franchise whether we won or lost. There would be an influx of Manning/UT fans not already tapped. It was a foolish gamble if you ask me. We killed our O-line FA with the move and hence, any significant chance effectively re-build during that off-season. Couple that with other "head-in-the-sand" personnel decisions by MR/Webster/Munchak and you have a team that can't even come close to competing with upper echelon teams.

This week's game will tell a lot about where each franchise is. I honestly believe the Colts are where they should be in the re-build and we are way behind. The outcome of the game will support and refute that opinion. I hope I'm wrong.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I still think it is ridiculous you are blaming our lack of signing a free agent center on going after Manning.

Definitely true about Manning and the $, BUT we did go after Hasselbeck when we could've went after any bum on the street a year ago. That says something to me about the franchise wanting to stay competitive even in the "re-build" years.

No way I would judge the entire direction of the franchise on one game.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Tennessee 43 ponies 0

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

You might think its ridiculous, but its not just my thought. Kuharsky and others have each strongly suggested the same. And even if it didn't have an effect on our not landing a center, what was our FO and Munchak thinking drafting Zach Brown over Peter Konz- the #1 rated center? The proof is in the pudding- our O-line stinks against the run unless they are against the worst run D teams. And our HC and OL coach are pro-bowl/HOF OL themselves.

And let me digest your last sentence. Just what do you mean "judge the entire direction..." Don't you think that is a bit of a stretch with what I'm saying? It is perfectly reasonable to assess our performance against the Colts as an indicator of which franchise is more efficiently re-building.

Ahhhhh-you're just bored at work and feel like arguing about anything.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar