The two big DTs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carpy, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

They aren't worth it, because DT is a very deep position this year. Red Bryant is a big body we could get in the 2nd or 3rd even. Because I believe Haynesworth is coming back, we only need someone large and run-stuffing to compliment AH.

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

too much, not interested.

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I don't doubt there are plenty of big bodies who can plug holes in this draft (Bryant, Moore etc), but these 2 guys (and Ellis in particular) are so much more than that.

Ellis' potential is the equivalent of Albert last year or Sapp in his prime, in my view. He is a truly penetrating DT who will be good for 8-10 sacks/yr. Can you imagine how dominant our D-line would be on passing downs with KVB, AH, Ellis and Kearse rushing the passer?

I recognise this is probably pure fantasy (I still think Ellis will go top-5) but if I were GM, I'd give up a 1st and a 2nd for him (if he could be had for that) and address WR in round 3 with a Nelson or Hawkins type.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Their specialness remains to be seen in the NFL, and I wouldn't say they are twice as good as those three, which they'd have to be for us to trade up from #24 to the top 10 to get one of them.

And, as you say, it's potential.

Wow. You really fell in LOVE with Ellis, didn't you? Nothing wrong with that. Just saying....

I like Bryant myself. He can tie up two blockers, just as Al can. He won't be as penetrating without Al, but one on one, he'll have his moments.

Laws need to improve his pass rush techniques, but he has two other valuable things -- big time motor and natural leverage (6'1"), which he uses well.

5. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I remember watching a game this year where Ellis got under the guard and literally threw him past the QB who had taken a 3-step drop. It was incredible. Ever since then I've been impressed with everything I've seen from him.

Laws is the pick of the 2nd tier bunch for mine.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Besides, in round one, WR, RB and possibly CB will be somewhat more valuable, as well as realistic. Blow our load on one DT when we have other needs? Can't see it. Too fantastic. Probably moreso even that drafting a RB in round one.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'll admit I haven't seen Ellis play a lot, so you have the advantage. But from the outside, I think part of Ellis' rise has come from the recent uncertainty surrounding Dorsey. So, he may be that good, maybe not, but if and when we trade up (some year), the player would have to fill a need and be worth the two or three other players on who we would miss out.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I myself am kind of torn on Bryant v Laws, but I do think Laws goes higher. I am pretty sold on the idea we have to go DT in two to get one of those three guys. Bryant could do a Starks, but I doubt Laws or Moore do.

It'll be interesting. As always, the wants and needs outweigh what we can possibly do. What happens in round one is going to be very telling.

9. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Alge Crumpler?

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Dorsey was/is very overrated, but I think he'll be a solid DT in the NFL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar