The truth & why Fisher has to go

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TxTitansFan, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Everybody is talking about the VY situation but the biggest reason to fire Jeff fisher is that we have had just 2 good defenses since 2003 and with Chuck Cecil as DC we have hardly stopped anyone the last 2 seasons.

We can never succeed with a 20th ranked defense and that is where we have averaged from 2004-present.

Teams like the Steelers and Ravens can win with 3rd string Qbs not with the kind of defense we have.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Chuck Cecil is a decent-good coordinator. Last year was atrocious, but he was thrown in too early IMO. We are merely seeing a smaller team get tired late this time around.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. HornedToad10

HornedToad10 Camp Fodder

If Fisher is fired and VY stays then it needs to be *made* abundantly clear to VY that Fisher was fired for performance and not for his interaction with VY and that if VY can't grow up and get some maturity then he'll be done too.

If VY thinks he "wins" over Fisher and has the power then the new couch is powerless at the start and VY will be more of a problem than he has been already.

That's why I'd rather ship them both out, but if it can be made clear that the new couch has full control over everything and it's time for the team to ship up, then maybe it could work.

4. dahobbs

dahobbs Camp Fodder

I didn't mean to suggest that you had. I was simply addressing both the concept of maturity and the idea that the media "experts" are a legitimate source of authority. I apologize for the confusion.

I think Vince could have handled this better, but I also think Fisher has handled Vince poorly his whole career and forced Vince to do something. Being quiet hadn't worked Vince. Every time he was quiet somehow rumors were started that either 1) he was satisfied being a back up and not playing, or 2) That he had missed meetings, or 3) that he had a poor work ethic. How much those are true I can't say for sure, but Vince has clearly improved as a passer this year so there is at least some objective evidence that his work ethic isn't as terrible as it is made out to be.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Never said fish face was great, what I'm saying is that .550 is much better than you were stating. Again NFL is a zero sum game so .500 is average and playing above.500 usually puts a team in the hunt for a PO slot.

fish face is far from a lock too be in the HoF as a coach, but he is much closer to the top of his profession than he is the bottom.

as an aside I think fish faces long tenure is due in large part because he is media savvy. Local media are toast without access to fish face and he definatly uses that too his advantage.

6. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Not a problem...it is easy to keep a thick skin on a website.

I agree that VY has shown marked improvement as a passer over the past two years. However, regardless of why, gesturing to a crowd on when they are booing you (as an old St. Louis baseball Cardinals fan, I will never forget the day that Garry Templeton did this, and subsequently was traded before the end of the season), throwing equipment into the stands, running out of the lockerrroom in a hissy fit, then denying you did all this before finally semi apologizing via twitter are not the actions of someone fit to lead a team. This has nothing to do with talent, statistics, of even work ethic for me, it is 100%due to lack of leadership and immaturity that I see with him, now 5 years into his career.

7. murrykline

murrykline Starter

I know...very off base to listen to NFL insiders. Let's listen to those that worship VY because of his skin or school affiliation. Child please

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

For much of the year we have been using an 8 man rotation up front. Even with the injuries we have been using at least 7 guys. No excuse for getting tired.

We are tired because we can't stop anyone.

Look at other 4-3 teams we are basically average up front. Maybe Jones and Haye are smaller than usual but we have good size with a couple of our Des being as big as they are. Ball and Hayes are 275.

9. twinsfan2

twinsfan2 Camp Fodder

I have to agree, no coach is going anywhere as long as there is a possibility of a lock out. The owners want the lockout, they are tired of paying the players enormous signing bonuses and guaranteed contracts. I have to agree, if I ran a business I wouldn't want my employees to tell me how much I have to pay them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar