The Truth about McNairs contract..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by thnom, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnom

thnom Camp Fodder

3rd post of the day, but I've found this interesting topic on nfl.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9120499

I took a look at Steve McNair's contract for the future, and as many people know, there is a well-publicized $50 million option bonus for 2006. It sounds like a trigger to open up renegotiations, and it could very well happen. But there is also a $1 million option the club can pick up in September of '06 to not exercise the $50 million option. By simply paying McNair $1 million right before the season starts, the Titans could hold McNair for the 2006 season at a salary of $9 million.

This will be a very interesting season for the Titans and the future of their greatest player of all time. I don't think the team will ever pay the $50 million. I do think they will consider the $1 million option, and they could very well attempt to negotiate the $9 million salary down. Finally, they could get to the point where they walk away from McNair and continue the youth movement that is going on in Tennessee. I wonder if Philip Rivers is on their radar screen? I wonder what they think of Matt Leinart? Do they think Billy Volek is the long-term answer? The truth is only one man has worked with all four quarterbacks mentioned in this article, and that is Norm Chow -- the offensive coordinator for the Tennessee Titans.

----

Looks pretty interesting, but isn't the $50 mill bonus BEFORE the $1mill option, so it wouldn't work out like that? I dunno, it seems a little too good to be true, and not publicised enough to be true like its written here?

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I heard about the $1mil "hold" option discussed today on the radio
    sounds like a better 'route' than the overexposed $50mil

but 9mil still sounds a little hefty - not sure they work it like that

it's a double edged sword
    you know McNair still has it in him
    but is it worth it if you feel the team still won't compete ?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It was my understanding it was a March 1 thing. But it doesn't make sense to have a $1 mil option in September.

4. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

I remember Jeff Fisher briefly disccussing McNair's contract on his TV show earlier this season. Fisher said that McNair's contract was not as high priced or difficult as some people were reporting. Fisher stated that it was something that would be much easier to rework than most realize.

5. No, this one was set to take effect right before the season started. I don't think Bus Cook wanted a $50M bonus in there on March 1 that would have forced the Titans' hands.

Remember, when they signed the contract, everybody knew there was zero chance that they would actually give McNair a $50M bonus. It was put in because Manning got his $100M contract the same offseason after he and McNair split the MVP. It was only for show.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I thought Manning signed his contract a year or so after McNair?

7. I'm pretty sure McNair renegotiated after Manning signed his new deal.

8. Nash

Nash Starter

Is there some angle with the uncapped year we are not seeing?? I mean if we give Mac the $1million bonus, he plays '06 for 9 million and in '07 we take the cap hit in an uncapped year.. maybe that's what is going on here.. Nend is this possible??

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

oh yeah, I thought you were talking about McNairs contract, not when he renegotiated it.

10. jdee

jdee Guest

Everyone knew, including McNair the $50 bonus was monopoly money. Right now, the Titans and McNair both have many options. I'm not sure the Titans can or want to afford the 9 mill, I could see that negotiated down some. I'm not sure Steve has a lot of value on the open market. Our biggest concern during the offseason is getting to the point where we can run the ball effectively, and stopping the run effectively.

JDee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar