The Titans defense post-Haynesworth

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

the DB's are quicker. Schwartzy really liked doing that. Finny unblocked was always beautiful, even if he didn't get to the QB, he still pressured the hell out of him to make a mistake.

2. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I'm totally serious here.....I've posted it before and got laughed at, he's a hybrid LB/DE AND just getting better every year......we're not going to replace AH. We'll do with what we have (Vickerson and Jones), maybe draft or sign another big boy with hopes for the future....... With Cecil as DC, I hope we'll go smaller, smarter and faster...........I like that!

Since every other team is focusing on the offense (or lack thereof) in FA, I betcha we draft some killer LB's and DE's. Maybe pick up one DT in FA.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

how much smaller and faster can this defense get?

without haynesworth, the guys we currently have under contract on our d-line averages 277 lbs.

our starting linebackers average 231 lbs.

our starting DBs average 195 lbs.

the only way we could get smaller is to become the colts' defense and get pushed around all over the field when offenses try to run on us.

4. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

That's why I liked it when Finny, Fuller or Griff went after the QB; they all got there lightning fast.

5. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

I'm sure the only one that didnt like it was Harper,being left on island all by himself....:lol:

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Dehr Schwartzie misused All-Star/HoF talent. His nutsac is like a grey alien, anybody who says it exists is assumed to be a whackjob.

CC may be the worst DC in the NFL, but that will still be an improvement on the Red hat wearing bean counter he replaces.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. galaril

galaril Camp Fodder

I totally agree and guess who the kids uncle is........Bruce Matthews:)

That being said we have to think long and hard about at least a dline and CB that can help out sooner rather than latter. I would grabs Mattehws in the first and CB in 2nd. Hopefully we get a WR that can contribute in FA.

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

:ha:

Nicely put! I couldn't have said it better myself...
    Nor could any other GT member.

9. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

So how did we offer? Obviously, we were not even on the planet.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Here's the thing. Jason Jones and Brown are good pass rushers because they are smallish, quick and good penetrators. Since neither is AH, the C can help on whichever OG needs help which will make our pass rush a little less effective. Additionally, the fact that Kearse couldn't do much dmg getting single blocked is bad and KVB could see some more doubling this year unless Brown and Jones can get after it!

More problematic is that Vickerson's the only DT on the roster over 300lbs who can play the run decently. When he's doubled, how well he holds up is gonna go a long way to how our D plays. If we can't stuff the run up the gut, we're gonna have a lot of problems. If teams can run effectively and keep themselves in 3rd and short, they will move the ball and score and we'll go back to a mid-pack D.

One of the main reasons our D was so good was that teams had a hard time running up the middle or to the outside on early downs leading to a lot of 3rd and longs. Then on 3rd and long, we had a good pass rush with our front 4 and could drop 7 into zone coverage behind it. Means fewer big plays given up, more interceptions, and more 3 and outs.

We may need to add a run plugging DT and/or a pass rushing DE unless one of our young guys can step up and become a double digit sack guy opposite KVB. We also need KVB healthy for the season or we'll be in a world of hurt trying to stop the run!

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar