The Tennessean's David Climer Is A Moron

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansFan, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansFan

TitansFan Guest

I wrote this for a blog I contribute to. Not a lot of people from TN have commented so I thought I'd share it here and let you guys let me know if I'm way off or not.

------------------------------------
    David Climer Is An Idiot

The Tennessean's David Climber took a cheap shot at Peyton Manning today in his column entitled Manning not beyond repoach. Read for yourself these pearls of wisdom:

This is low grade "journalism" parading itself around as legitimate sports writing and a perfect example of why I've turned to blogs and message boards for sports discussion.

How do you identify low grade writing? This article has two grade A examples to look at.
    1. A reliance on short,pithy, shock-value statements over against original assesment.
    2. Attacking a well-respected personality by a no-name utilizing nothing other than that which is described in #1.
    3. Premise based on a imaginary situation which fails to reflect reality.

Examples:
    1. "...maybe Indianapolis should bring in Tee Martin next year. The Colts can let Manning pile up stats and then put in Martin when there's a chance to win a championship. Hey, it worked for the Vols..."
    2. David Climer? Who the heck is David Climer? Name the last column you read by him... ... ...
    That's what I thought. Originally I thought the column was written by Jim Wyatt. Maybe the Tennessean should start letting Climer use his byline.
    3. "Why? Because of the lack of substantive criticism of Manning around here..." Lack of criticism? Does the man get out of his house? If not, does he turn on the T.V. or listen to Sportstalk. Lack of substantitive criticism? While I'm writing this Tony Kornheiser of PTI on ESPN right now has a Mike Vanderjagt face-on-a-stick up onscreen going off about Manning the choke artist. David Climer must be the only one living in a world without substantive criticism of Manning.

I won't go in to the problem of a sportswriter who can't understand the lack of individual success in a team sport. I realize that is a common problem, obviously. What I will say is Climer made another dumb move in picking this game to regurgitate the same old same old about Manning. If you pick any of Manning's career post-season games the worst one to use in a "Manning-chokes-in-big-games" column is this last Colts game.

Peyton, while bearing responsibility for the flat start the Colts brought out of the gate, was almost singlehandedly brought his team back from two scores down (other than the Harper play) only to see the kicker muff it away. This choke job wasn't Peyton's.

You'd think a sportswriter would see the obvious. Maybe Climer will get there someday.
    ------------------------------------

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

You mad? :sad2:

On the real, I never read Climers articles, and I disagree with him on the over Manning hate topics.

3. maximus

maximus Starter

Ive been out of TN for a while and I dont read the paper online daily. But I remember Climer being somewhat sarcastic and darker than Wyatt and the other writers. He brings up good points though, Manning has always failed to win the big game. Manning has gotten a free pass for the most part(what would they be saying if this was Mike Vick or McNair or Culpepper) in the press because most of the press loves Manning and will do anything to make him look good. Like it or not, he is the face of the NFL right now

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

He is the face of the NFL at this point. But still, people going nuts over him 'cause his team lost. The team lost it, not Manning.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

He's just trying to write something that sounds interesting. It is his editorial, isn't? He's writing to an audience. That is what he is being paid to do. All that shock and awe that you were refering to is what is called a hook. I'm sure you already know that but the point is that he is saying stuff to provoke thought. If it makes you laugh or it ticks you off really isn't of any concern of his. He's just making a paycheck, and the idea of naming the street "free pass" in sarcasmic seriousness...(can I say that?)...it just makes for something of a read.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Despite being the face of the NFL, with all his weapons (Wayne, Harrison, Stokely, Edge, Pollard, Clark etc) he still cannot win. Some games he has played poorly, some he has played good but has he ever played his best in the playoffs?

A lot of the time his defense gave him a chance to win but yet he has only won 50% of his playoff games and those were against teams with crap defenses.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I liked the article. Climer's best line ever was when he once referred to Jacksonville as "Macon with a beach".

Here's another example:
    Writing "David Climer is a moron".

No, that's satire based on what really did happen at UT.

Re-read what Climer wrote. He said there is a lack of substantive criticism of Manning AROUND HERE. AROUND HERE, as in Tennessee, not on ESPN. Your criticism of Climer here is based on a false assertion.

I disagree. The best game to use in a "Manning chokes in big games" is his most recent choke.

That's a perfect example of the Peyton Free Pass BS we're getting tired of. You just wrote that Peyton almost "singlehandedly" brought his team back, but the kicker lost the game.
    Peyton gets all the credit when they do good, but it's always someone else's fault when they lose. Sorry, but that's some tired BS.

8. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

No, he's only won 33% of his playoff games. He's 3-6.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

oh yeah, divided 3 by six, not 9.

Good maths Gunny.

10. TitansFan

TitansFan Guest

How? Am I getting pub? Am I raising attention for myself? No. My purpose: "Not a lot of people from TN have commented so I thought I'd share it here and let you guys let me know if I'm way off or not."

Therefore, you're wrong.

I don't disagree that its is satire. It is indeed, but poorly done. Not worthy of pay-for-print journalism.

Re-read what I wrote. I cited ESPN but I also talked about local talk radio. My criticism is valid. Your comment is not.

That is the problem. He has choked, I suppose. This game he didn't. That's why it's a bad example and is why you are badly mistaken when you write...

It is by far Peyton's best individual performance in terms of late game heroics in a playoff game. Bottom line: if anyon can be responsible for success in a team sport, Peyton and Reggie Wayne came the closest in those last drives. And that is why using the Steelers/Colts game is a horrible,horrible example of Peyton choking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar