The scoop on Dareus....

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If we were to draft Dareus i would not be upset. I think we can use him in our system and he has attributes that make him potentially good NFL players but i also have doubts about his ability to dominate and frankly am shocked that anyone would consider him a potential #1 pick.

How many of you know who Brandon Deadrick and Lorenzo Washington are? Both were just rookie defensive linemen in the nfl. Deadrick for the Pats and Washington for the Jets. Both 3-4 DEs and both talented enough to make an nfl team. Deadrick had 2 sacks for the Pats.

Those 2 guys were Alabama's starting DEs when the 2009 season began. The top backup? Marcell Dareus. We also know that Bama had an elite pair of inside linebackers in Hightower and McClain, elite even for the nfl! We all know about the space eating NT Cody.

So what is the point? That Dareus played in 2009 under the radar. Even with the Hightower knee injury Bama had an nfl caliber front and nobody was game planning for Dareus.

He thrived on that role! Coming off the bench for 7-8 plays, staying fresh not getting double teamed Dareus was a load! Cody ate up blockers inside, teams game planned for McClain.

Dareus incognito in one of the most talented defenses in recent college history was a force.

Then in 2010 with Cody and McClain gone Dareus was the main guy teams focused on and he was still a good player but not as dominant. Teams doubled him and he had some injury issues. Despite playing more downs in 2010 Dareus' numbers were no different than 2009. Good numbers, 33 tackles, 5 sacks 11 tfl but not better and not dominant!

So the question is was he a dominant enough player to warrant that high a pick? A top 3 pick? I don't think so and then the injury issue also comes into play.

He has that big body everybody wants. 319 lbs. He moves like a 285 lb guy. He can play in any scheme, 3-4 end or 4-3 Dt or even a 3-4 NT.

I'm a Bama fan but i think of him as a mid 1st rd type prospect not a top 3 prospect.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I doubt he'd get out of the Top-3.

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I gotta say I'm a little surprised to hear RT say that about a Bama guy. I also think he won't slide past #3. Hopefully we can still get a difference maker at #8.

4. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

Dareus will go #2 overall to Denver I think.

5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

No way he gets out of the top 5. I'd be happy if we got him but still prefer Fairley if we go DT.

6. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

His nickname should be called the Stock Market, because to me he was so up and down.

I personally think Denver will draft him with their #2 pick. He has the tools to be a great DT in the league, but I personally feel he isn't worthy of a top 5 pick.

However, if we drafted him you wouldn't hear a complain from me.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

And if Denver passes, Bills will get him. He's the perfect fit for Buffalo.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I hope Denver takes him because I'd rather have Fairley.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I didn't bash him i just didn't see him as a top 5 pick.

Can't be a homer when looking at the draft. Julio Jones' history with injury has to move him back some. Talent and athletic ability says he is a top 5 pick but the injuries(3 broken bones) move him back from top 5 to a 10-15 pick.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

This guy is a myth.

He's not worthy of a top 20 pick, yet people can't see him dropping out of the top 3?... lol that's crazy to me.

He's done nothing.

One fluke play in the NC game made people aware of him... that's all.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar