The real reason Billys gone

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I've been in Vegas, and missed most of this, but from what I have digested I can only come to but one conclusion. Jeff Fisher has lost it.

He appeatrs hung up on the fact that Volek wanted to be traded.

Well, Fisher has been around the league long enough that this should not affect his or anyone elses decision making. Because that is the business side. It's an off the field decision for the most part. But the season had already started. Until Volek was traded, he should not have been benched.

It appears Fisher was consumed with this one fact, and no other, and could not let it go.

That to me is a sign that he's lost it. To be so obsessed with one thing that all players do. And let it eat you up at the detriment of the team. He's gotta go. It's like he as become bullheaded to the point where it is delf destructive. There are going to be players like Volek, and you deal with it, and the kicker here is that Volek was always truthful. He always came out with the Truth. He was a lame duck qb, not once, but twice, and the whole world knew it, and when he came out with it, it was the truth. Not a lie.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

You've been in Washington so long you wouldn't know the truth if it smacked you in the face. If what Fisher says is untrue why does it confirm speculation from a few weeks ago? Why would you trade a player to a team you are going to play? Why would you play a guy who you know you are going to trade? You must have jet lag. Fisher maybe should not have even dignified Voleks bs with a response. I happen to think that Fisher was instructed to make a statement which he did. I don't fault him for maybe doing what he was told. I believe everything that Fisher said. Volek was a malcontent.

3. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Fisher isn't going to tell the "real story". The media isn't going to get anyone on the team or in management to tell what is really going on. Remember how Fisher made a mandate that none of the media is allowed to report on who is getting the qb reps in practice? From what I understand, there are only 5-6 print media writers at practice on a regular basis. A very cozy situation. Who is really going to go against what everyone else is doing/writing about? The problem with small market teams.:gag:

4. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG I'm Winning The Future

WERD!

& we all KNOW that we are not a good team. We could possibly not win a game all year. It's possible. & whatever happens or doesn't happen is not the result of Billy Volek being traded in week 3. We suck.

I'm done defending Collins. I know who the future is, as do you, & I'm just going to have to wait it out, as we all are.

We need way more than Vince, we all know that. Should he be playing now? I have no idea. I'm in the "He's better than Collins, but he's gonna get his head torn off" corner.

All's I know ... is that Billy was a prima donna sissy who never did crap to impress me. Touch his shoe lace, watch him be sacked. This is all a blessing in disguise, because we're on Sportscenter, & PTI & they're focused on a back-up scrub, & not how sucky of a team we are.

After this dies down, it'll be between us, & the stupid Texans for the number one pick. That'll be our next national headlines. Bring it on, I say. The quicker we get this nightmare season over with, the quicker we can sign people away from other teams, & draft new guys.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

My point is you can't have it both ways. Citing media releases as a basis for one's opinion and then later stating that some media releases are merely "spins" and that we'll never really know the truth is inconsistent and reeks of "convenient" debating.

That said, I fully agree that Fisher is the consumate media HC. He can play them like a fiddle except for this recent issue. His "on-camera" behavior was very uncharacteristic- eyes darting, pressured speech, shifting weight. My impression was this release was unhearsed and honest. Was he again just being the media aficionado? I dont' know, but I'm buying.

6. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Wow how this thread has left topic. THIS is what this thread is about.

"From day one, I related it to Drew Brees and Philip Rivers," Volek said. "Drew was a great quarterback for the Chargers, but they had a guy waiting right behind him. He got pushed out the door, and New Orleans got a great quarterback. I need to do that. I know there are a lot of teams out there watching me."

This quote is from July. Well before the Collins signing. In my humble opinion that is exactly the WRONG voice you want leading your team. How about relating it to Tom Brady getting a chance to exceed expectations and lead an underdog team to the Superbowl.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

But, the quote from Volek is the truth.

The I'm Tom and going to lead this team to the superbowl is the lie. Brady was supposed to be the qb. We all know that, however, Volek was never our guy. Young is. And that's why what he said was truth. The Truth is ugly. It always is. But he came right out and said it.

Fisher always said Volek was a Titan. But we all know that's not the Truth. The evidence is everywhere.

A) because he was traded.
    B) because Young was getting in game reps.
    C) Vince Young was drafted
    D) Collins was brought in.

I don't remember any evidence pointing to Volek as the starter of this team that would lead us to the superbowl. We didn't even ake it to the 4th preseason game with him as starter.

Everybody wanted the Truth, they just couldn't handle it when Volek gave it to them.

Not sure if that got us back on topic or not.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

According to this site, August 18th.

9. vnomus2

vnomus2 Camp Fodder

I personally hated to see Billy go, I think he would have given us a better shot to win then the stiff we've got back there now. If we continue to play like this its a good possibility we see Vince starting sooner rather than later.

10. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Allow me to explain.

You have implied that the team's failure in '05 was on Volek's head alone. We all know that isn't the case. When McNair first spoke of retirement, the battle raged here in which Volek was the clear loser; the majority maintained that Steve could help the team win. We quickly saw the he could not. Though roster changes had occurred, the biggest factor was the addition of Norm Chow and a new offensive scheme. The QB's hands were tied.
    Compare this with Micheal Vick, who was given basically the same scheme to work with. His production crashed, and he has since refused to follow it. Now, the Falcons win again.

So, I said that your statement concerning Billy's ability to shine in '05 had no value because we had already seen our hero fail under the exact same circumstance in the same year. Your statement places undue blame on the quarterback.

Now, from what I've seen so far, it is clear that you aren't holding any membership cards to the Billy Volek Fan Club, and that's fine....I'm not either, but I believe he has been unfairly treated both by the FO and, in the past, this board. He has done just fine when he had a good team and some loose reins available to him. With a bad team and tight reins, he cannot produce, and he is not alone in that. Mac couldn't do it, Collins can't do it, and Young won't be able to either.

A fish rots from the head down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar