The "put up or shut up" thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carpy, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't have smelly feet but i can presume that nobody will trade with me. Gut's scenario would never happen. The one team that could have made such a trade was the cowboys when they were on the board and mendenhall was still there. There has to be a player someone wants to create that compelling interest not just the desire to pick earlier.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Rolltide's picks..

24- Phillips safety miami..

54- Lee CB auburn

85- Stevens TE cal

124-Keenan Burton WR Kentucky

126-Lavelle hawkins WR cal

134-Keglar OLB purdue

157-Xavier Oman RB

7th rd? I'll let gunny handle that part. The best DE on the board at that time.

Using the 5th rd pick to trade up from pick 124 to 103 like the titans did my pick then would have been tashard choice RB ga tech in place of burton with the rest the same.

3. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

We don't need a safety unless Hope couldn't come back, and everyone is sure he will. We don't need a CB, because IMO, Harper will be fine for another year.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

what are we supposed to do, run a 3 S defense?!

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

We don't have any idea if a trade like that was feasible Gut, and that is why it's unfair to assume that it was. You already have the huge advantage of hindsight.

edit: disregard this. I forgot that this was a 2 page thread. :)

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We don't need a safety?

You don't draft for immediate need you draft potentially great players. We didn't need a damn RB either.

Even with hope solidly back phillips would give us a big upgrade in our dime defense(20% of our defense), another stud special teams guy and first rate depth. In a year or 2 he would start and a couple of years after that be in the pro bowl. Maybe even surpassing griffin as our best safety.

Our dime defense does involve 3 safeties.

As for corner you really can't have to many of them. This will be harper's last year as a starter and while carr and king give us good depth and slot coverage we have no future outside guy to replace harper. Lee gives us great depth on the outside when harper or finnegan go down and could even win that starting NB job.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Remember what happened to the colts. They lost both starting CBs and mike doss in the same year and actualy improved in the secondary because they committed to drafting at those positions a couple of years earlier.

Colts drafting players they don't need?

Doss safety 2nd rd

Sanders safety 2nd rd

Jackson CB 1st rd
    Hayden CB 2nd rd

Jennings CB 2nd rd
    Bethea safety 6th rd
    Coe CB 6th rd

Obviously bill polian thinks that having a lot of players at those positions is important. There are situations when you have 3 or even 4 Cbs on the field and situations like the dime when you have 3 CBs AND 3 safeties.

Remember the colts first rd pick in 07 was at another position they supposedly didn't need. WR. Harrison was hurt all year and gonzales gave them solid production.

Always think ahead..

8. maximus

maximus Starter

With Chris Hope's return of a devastating injury, it's possible that he might not return to form. I wouldn't have jumped of a bridge if we had drafted a S, like Phillips.

9. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

How can you possible argue that the Colts didn't need help in the secondary all through those years? Their whole defense was awful and they didn't make a superbowl because despite having the best offense in the NFL they couldn't stop anyone.

I agree in principle that you have to draft for the future, but the Colts drafting of CBs and Safeties is a horrible, horrible analaogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar