The Problem(s) with the Titans...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Defense

First off, our defense is built around getting pressure with our front four and playing aggressive zone coverage behind it. Strategically we look to stop the run, then force teams to pass which creates sacks, qb pressures and int's. It's a successful strategy. Last year I heard a lot of coaches talking about how our secondary was very quick to jump routes and was one of the reasons they were tough. So what's the problem?

Haynesworth's loss is much bigger than expected. Big Al guaranteed the other 3 dl single blocking and he frequently still pushed the pocket back. Keeping a QB from stepping up gives the DE's a better angle to beat there blocks and get to the QB. What we've seen through 2 games is that our DE's are rarely getting pressure with 85% single blocking and teams are having better success keeping our DT's from getting a push up the middle. Since we're not getting there, QB's are having WAY too much time to scan the field, find alternate wr's, pump fake, eat a sandwich, ect. As if this wasn't a big enough problem...

To further complicate matters, our vet secondary is having major problems because how they've been coached to play in this scheme...jump the first route and attack. We are getting smoked on pump fakes, double moves, and look offs. I think this is why there is a legit argument on the player and coach side as to 'who's' to blame. On the coaching side, players need to be coached to be less aggressive...especially on 3rd and very long or 2min drills. Additionally, we need to change coverages to 'safer' coverages to force the QB to throw underneath....even if we have to drop our LB's back further as well. If the DL still is inconsistent, we will have two choices...change coverages frequently as well as play more man, use trap coverages and uncoventional coverages here and there to confuse QB's in key spots. The second option is to blitz more to get the pressure we're missing. From what I've seen, we frequently rush 4 straight (or with a twist) or bring the house. Bring 5 or even 6....creatively. First and foremost, we need more pressure up the middle so our DE's will have better angles to get pressure and move the QB. We've seen multiple teams run an X blitz up the middle against us for years...why we don't incorporate effective blitzes from other teams surprises me. Rex Ryan took that blitz right from the Steelers/Carolina 3-4 zone blitz scheme. Why not copy that and perhaps the overload blitz the Ravens, Jets, and Steelers are now using to great effect?

From a players point of view, you have to make your own adjustments mentally. If you're Harper and have Andre Johnson one on one with only a deep middle safety, you need to be less aggressive on the out so you don't get burned on the out and up. The flip side is...play aggressively and stay close to him knowing if he turns upfield, you have to tackle him. Sure it's a flag and an automatic FD, but you can't give up a 20+yd TD. You can't bite on the out AND interfere with him AND not be able to stop the TD on the up move. Not to pick on Harper, but to give an example. Hope needs to either play deeper, not settle his feet on a pump (especially against Big Ben), but most importantly, take better angles on deep balls. Griffin can't blow coverages on playaction when our run D is excellent and our pass D is getting shredded. Finnegan can't be getting into fights. Bulluck can't be pulled out of his position with pump fakes and can't be fooled by the old TE fakes a block and goes for a pass in the endzone on playaction on the goal line. Thornton need to take better drop angles.

On the DL, KVB and Kearse/Hayes need to rip up 1v1 blocking. If one or the other can cause blocking issues, our DT's will have success if each gets 1v1 blocking. Personally, I think Hayes is a better pass rusher than Kearse at this point and on 3rd and long, Jason Jones and Brown need to be our DT's. I would also experiment with a pass rushing line of Hayes, Jason Jones (or Brown), KVB (at DT), and Ford.

We also need to show blitz more. Combine this with overload blitzes from the outside and some X crossing blitzes up the middle and even our 4 man rush will have more success as they aren't sure if someone else is coming.

Watching the Jets, Steelers, and Ravens, it's surprising how much pressure they can get with a 4 man rush and the other team has 6-7 blockers simply because they overload the middle while the OG's are watching the outside or they overload one side so the blockers on the other side don't matter.

Playing a more basic scheme when you have a dominant front 4 is great. Our front 4 is not only not been dominant, but not been good either so it's time coaching-wise to make some changes to the scheme, coaching, and strategy. Players need to make their own adjustments knowing they may need to cover for 5 seconds so you can't put yourself in a position to get toasted.

Special Teams

The first snap was not good in Pitt and I feel like that cost us a FG. The second was blocked because they were able to overpower our LG...another FG. We lost the game by 3. Our return game has been a weakness in a lot of different ways...snap, blocking, returning, catching, penalties, ect. We'll have a bigger challenge now without Hentrich.

Offense

The Offense has played pretty well for the most part. However, we have room for improvement. The OL has been more inconsistent...especially in our pass blocking. Scott and Stewart have been beaten too much 1v1 and put too much pressure in Collins' face. A great example of this is our last few offensive plays against the Steelers D. They blitzed up the middle 3 times and got a free rusher or good pressure and forced Collins to throw it away. Collins, with more pressure, has played more consistently from a completion % standpoint but has also made some critical mental errors. On his INT down the middle against the Texans, his error was not going deep to the outside in 1v1 coverage or throwing the ball away. You never chuck it up and hope throwing it down the middle with a S playing centerfield. Collins running the ball is not a good idea. And if you can't tuck a football without fumbling it, that's a big problem.

Our WR's are also not getting open enough or getting deep. Nate Washington hasn't done much and neither has Britt except on a blown coverage in Pitt.

The Titans should also consider putting in a short yardage/goal line offensive package with VY at QB. Other teams have a wildcat offense, we HAVE a mobile QB who knows the entire offense. Use him. At least on 3rd and 1...he can run and should make our rushing more effective. Not always of course, but here and there to give the D a different look. I also like utilizing talent in good positions to create mismatches.

BTW, the offense needs to revolve around CJ. He has the explosiveness of an offensive MVP. Get him in space and get him the ball.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. JokerJ

JokerJ Camp Fodder

Wow that was like a philibuster. There's no way to respond to all that. Seemed pretty good though from what I read of it.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Major munch!

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Good post Gut.

I've also wondered why we don't run a Wildcat-type package with Vince in certain situations. On paper at least, it seems we have all the pieces to pull it off successfully.

5. rastamon

rastamon Camp Fodder

..yar!

6. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

I like what you said about showing blitz. It seems we line up with a vanilla front all the time so the O-Line doesn't even have to think hard about who is blocking who.

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Gut, you're exactly right about pressure up the middle, it's essential in any pass rush, our DEs are just flying up the field watching the QB step up in the pocket without even a breeze.

If we're really going to take advantages of mismatches, then getting Cook lined up on a LB or SS is a good start. DO NOT split him out wide, keep him as a traditional TE and let him eat defenders alive. I am all for VY playing to help our running game, in crucial situations. Short yardage would be great, so they can't just key on the RBs. Plus, it'll just set Defense's up for more film study throughout the year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar