The price of gas in your area

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Starkiller, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

http://www.weather.com/hurricanecentral/?from=wxcenter_news

best I can tell from this link we are at the midpoint...

anyrate there are two months to go... so I guess with each passing day we are nearing it's end...

ya know, I saw this really cool Modern Marvels on the History Channel...
    It was about containers...

http://www.fossil.energy.gov/programs/reserves/

the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) is really cool. They store crude in the ground in salt caverns... really neat. These caverns are so vast the sears tower could easily fit inside...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Petroleum_Reserve

salt domes... that's what they are called... the pump water down there and dissolve the salt away to make room for the oil then pump the oil in the space... when the want oil they pump water back down... very cool.

looks like with the new motherlode of oil they will be able to boost the reserve thus lowering the price of oil... as for the variance of price from state to state that is all on the taxes that are levied wherever you are. Most of the cost of gas is the taxation.

2. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Actually most of the cost between state to state is your location. If you are close to the refinery the gas is cheaper because the shipping cost is less. The further you are from the place that makes the gas the more gas companies charge the station and the more you will pay. Taxes are a huge hunk though. I have read (can not confirm) that the tax is CA is over a $1 per gallon. Crazy.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

that is true... I thought of that as I got back to work at 2:15... geography is a major factor but I think the locality taxes in general play a major role as well. In Tennessee there is a sticker on gas pumps that states how much the commerce dept. is getting or something like that. I need to fill up so I'll take a better look at it. On a side note gas in Georgia has been cheaper in Tennessee; war or peace time regardless of the economy. The difference is at the state and county levels... Tennessee has a regressive tax structure that punishes low income/working class with brutal sales taxes, food taxes, sin taxes, vehicle taxes... no income taxes though... so if you have the ability to make lots of money Tennessee won't come for it... that's what us working dogs are for.

sure, if the oil is coming from opec.... but drilling in the North Sea isn't easy by any means. The price of oil is determined by a number of factors... I know domestic production is one of them. The North Sea is a rough place.

4. Blazing Arrow

The main reasons states do not put an income tax is not to stiff the little guy but to encourage corporations to come to your state and employee the "working dogs". CA has a sales tax of 7.75% plus the city I live in (well use to live in until last month) includes a BART (local train) tax of .50% bringing the sales tax to 8.25%. Plus we have income tax, special food taxes, vehicle taxes got our last governor impeached for the goverator.

Local taxes play very little into the price but the state takes a good hunk and so does the fed. It pays for your highways, bridges and interstats. I would rather have the tax on the gas then on my income to pay that. Though Cal-Trans is possibly the worst at allocating the money the do get.

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I wonder what the poor people are doing today... hmmm....

[​IMG]

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I heard yesteday they found a new huge oil deposit in the gulf, near New Orleans. See if that brings down the price any, by adding to the supply.
    I doubt it will, since the slightest rumor of anything affecting the supply negatively shoots the price up, but this huge new reserve they found probably won't do anything the other way. :irked:

7. Blazing Arrow

The answer is not finding more oil but getting away from depending on it. We are fighting a losing battle just hunting for oil.

8. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Yeah, the article I read this morning had an interview with an "expert" and he stated it wouldn't affect the price either way. I have no idea why. Understanding the fuel industry is like trying to understand women.

9. Blazing Arrow

The main reason it does not affect price is the time it takes to extract the oil and how long it would take to establish a new drilling station in the gulf. You are talking at least 5 years not to mention dealing with all of the environmentalist groups that will protest and try to stop the drilling. The cost alone of establishing a new platform I have read is in the upper $100 millions. That price would be directly put to the consumer.

10. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

I saw that and the report I heard was that it COULD affect pricing, but not for 6 to 7 years.
    It is sad that I'm am excited about gas being $2.43 in Cookeville...it is still to damned high. My guess is we will NEVER see gas at $1.99 again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar