The Peyton Manning Domino Effect

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

With (potential) imminent signing of Manning, you gotta figure there will be a load of change, both bad and good..

Not only will Hasselbeck hit the road and the Locker project goes on hold, but Munchack will likely lose a portion of what little power he had.
    Peyton is said to have had a lot of say in the draft and free agency, affecting Webster's job..
    No doubt having Manning boosts this team as a more legit FA target and national attention will sing this way along with prime MNF gigs and the like.

I can only imagine that for better or worse, this franchise changes in leaps and bounds the minute PM becomes a Titan..

You thoughts..

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Unless PM knows how to grade defensive players...my guess PM will keep training, rehabbing and working on getting into a new offense while our scouts and coaches continue to prepare the draft board.

I don't think PM changes that much I that regard.

3. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Yea, I don't think PM changes the direction of the draft at all.

But yes, Hasselbeck hits the road, Locker goes on hold and all of a sudden we're a media darling with plenty MNF gigs.

I just want him to sign already though. I won't believe it 'til it's announced.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I laughed at "potential, imminent":lol:

But I think I am going to have to disagree. I could see it go that way, and I think he will have some say in the draft and free agency, but I doubt it is as drastic some may think.

We already have tons of targets for him to throw too, atleast better targets that are projected to be there when we pick. The only way I see him influencing our pick is if DeCastro is there, and thats really the only immediate change I could see happening No real way to tell though.

5. TitansfaninKY

TitansfaninKY Starter

I expect to see a lot of changes. "If" we land PM then I'm very excited to see what our offense looks like. If PM is still the same old QB then it will take off a lot of pressure on our defense. Would be great to be able to sustain offensive drives and not constantly be put into long 3rd down plays.

Will be interesting to see how this affects our defensive strategy. I could see is becoming a lot more opportunistic and willing to run a system that allows us to take a lot more risks with blitzes and such. Who knows though would have never thought I would be this crazy into the NFL when its March Madness... the best month of all time.

6. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

To be honest when I first heard how Bud wanted him and we were going after him, I was pretty excited. To have a legit Hall of Fame quarterback on the Titans? I figured something like that was impossible. But as we get closer to his decision I'm kind of backing out of that feeling, just because I'm not sure how it'll affect so many aspects of the team. How would we draft now? Hopefully we'd still go mostly defense. What about remaining free agent signings? We already lost out on the 2 best centers available, and the DE market is getting very thin. And most importantly, what about Jake Locker? I'm a huge fan of his after last year, and while I hope he'd be able to sit and learn behind Manning, I'm just not sure if he's willing to wait around for long then bolt after seeing what (hypothetically) happened to Hasselbeck and how the Titans used him for 1 year.

I'm nervous about this whole thing but ready to see Peyton make a decision, but no matter what he decides I'll still be a diehard Titans fan

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I don't see PM have a having a huge a sayin this year's draft. Time frame doesn't allow it. Though having the guy could change how they approach the draft. Next year he could be running the whole show..

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Depends on how well he performs IMO.

He takes us deep into the playoffs, then yea he will, and I do not think that would be a bad idea.

If he plays average, I am not sure if he will. It really just depends on how big of holes we have next season. Looking forward, I know of atleast one at safety, and possibly another at OLB.

9. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I think that Chris Palmer may be in jeopardy as an OC at some point (maybe not right away, but eventually). That is not a bad thing though. My guess is that PM would effectively become the OC, with some puppet holding the role for now. Again, don't think that this is a bad thing.

Munchak fits the stereotype for a PM HC.....not really animated, and somewhat passive. I see him fitting into a role as a PM HC pretty well.

I see the defense maybe moving towards a more "pass defense" style, and this aspect of the team will need alot of work near term.

I think that the biggest winners out of this will be CJ and Britt (if Britt stays healthy). However, given Cook's issues with playbook comprehension and route running I could see him and PM butting heads pretty quickly.

Just my initial thoughts. Overall, I still think that this is a net zero proposition...assuming we had not missed out on the top tier FA market here, without PM I saw us as a 10-11 win team, and possibly winning 1 game in the playoffs. With PM, we will be real fun to watch, will get lots of love from ESPN, and we will be a 10-11 win team, possibly winning 1 game in the playoffs....JMO.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I literally agree with every point you made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar