The official "Reinfeldt is an idiot" free agency thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by onetontitan, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Great points, Zell and KamikaZ both. I generally agree with KamikaZ though, that the first day or so really doesn't end up being as big a deal as most make it out to be. I'm disappointed that we let some of our own players get away, but I'm not that upset about not grabbing some of the others who we're watching get overpaid.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Let's say the Titans sign Hackett, sign Dunn, and just others not mentioned like back ups. Then that's a pretty good off-season. A pro-bowl TE, a very good WR, and a veteran back up RB, and then depth at other positions. Add to that the draft coming soon. I'd be very happy with MR.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Didn't Bell contract Rosenhaus disease? Maybe that's why we didn't re-sign him....

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Originally, when Goodell became commissioner and suspended Pacman, I was all for it and had no problem with it. Basically, because I think the league did need some cleaning up, and Pacman totally pissed me off with his attitude and lack of respect towards the team, so I didn't really care if he was getting screwed or not.

Over the last season, I don't support Goodell, or give him the benefit of the doubt like I used to. I think the main reasons are his handling of "spygate" and the NFL regular season games played in Europe. Particularly taking away a Saints home game this season, which makes no sense. There has to be a better strategy to broaden the NFL into Europe and other markets.

similarly....

Last offseason, I was willing to give MR the benefit of the doubt. The only player we lost that concerned me was Travis Henry (and that turned out fine). I was glad to see us with a boatload of cash for this offseason.

But now, I am having doubts and concerns. If we aren't even going to keep our own when they perform well, then what exactly are we going to do? We can't constantly be replacing players and adding holes going into the drafts. Odom's price seems very reasonable, even if it's more than KVB, there is a reason it worked out like that: timing. Like someone mentioned before, we are going to let 2 guards inherit the positions, what would it have hurt to keep Bell who was solid, and have a decent backup on the O-line in one of the others.

All in all, I think we can still come out of this offseason in good shape. But it has to concern even the supporters that most of the top-tier FAs have already signed. And it isn't an overly optimistic feeling, to know that our best option opposite KVB is to bring back ex-Titan Kearse, and that we are going with NEW starters on the O-line. The thing that also bothers me is now we almost HAVE to spend a draft pick on DE. It would've been nice if that was only optional instead of mandatory.

I also wonder how much of the blame falls to MR. Some of his actions could be because Bud is telling him to be that way. Or Fisher is convincing him we don't need so and so player.

One other thing I feel, is how many people really want to play in Nashville? The reason I feel it's a low number is two main reasons. 1) We are a small market, so bigger advertising $$$ to be made from other teams. 2) We've screwed our former players. We've treated them disrespectfully in more than one occasion. Would you want to work for someone that has a reputation of mistreating solid contributers? I didn't think so.

Hopefully things will get better and we'll get a few more people signed, and finally take care of some of our players than we need to keep around for years to come.

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Crumpler became because he loved the city.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Actually I think it was stated that his wife loved the city.

That is one thing Nashville has going for it, a more polite and safe city than many other NFL cities.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Somebody check Reinfeldt's contract for a "remaining cap" incentive.

And check him for a pulse while you are at it. No way Odom should have walked. This one is feeling "Runyan-esque".

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

If we can't step up and pay Odom what he got from the Bengals, then we don't deserve to go to the playoffs ever again. Come to think about it, we didn't deserve to go to the playoffs this year. But seriously, Bengals got Odom on the cheap, and we watched another developing draft pick walk away without any compensation. We can't keep drafting people to play for 2 years and then walk away, that is just bad business, too high of a turnover rate. I get upset that either our Draft picks are total busts(Woolfolk, Schifino, DHill) or we let them walk away.

So where does your "Rebuild through the Draft" logic come in?

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

That is an excellent point. First we have to draft well, which in all honesty, we have not done over the past 5 years. Second, you have to retain the players that have shown their value. Fish, Munchak and Washburn do alot with very little but we rely too heavily on them. I don't see us ever being SB champ with this mode of personnel logic. We won't ever get over the hump.

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Here's the thing:

Remember 2 years back when our defense was the worst in the league? What helped us get back to being a top five defense? THE D LINE!

Now the Titans FO is just letting that slip away, so I can't wait to see how our run defense looks next year. Its going to suck so bad.

At this point, I really don't know what the hell is going on with our team. The Crumpler signing was cool and everything, but the next day TWO of our best defensive players walked. Haynesworth isn't signed yet. Is our defense on the decline yet again?

yep.

oh, and whatever happened to jeff fisher promising that he would revamp our offense? Bringing in an injury prone TE and a new offensive coordinator really doesn't do that. Not to mention letting our offensive line fall apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar