The official "Reinfeldt is an idiot" free agency thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by onetontitan, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chem

Chem Camp Fodder

Either way, this free agency season is a ****ing disaster.

The NFL does have a minimum total team salary, too. It's like 86% of cap. Titans are far below it.

2. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Oh, I get it. It's addition by subtraction. The more players we let ride, the better we are in the long run. And the more money we save by not spending on available free agents, or making a play for a big name, then the more we have to spend later in free agency.

It's so much clearer now, thaks for that I appreciate it....:suspect:

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

You didn't address anything I posted, so I'll just continue on. The fact is, this isn't the first time we've lost so-called key players in Free Agency. Oh wait, it happened last year, and fans STILL whined about losing Henry, Bennett, Wade, etc, saying that those contributors were vital. And what happened? Oh, we just got better and went to the playoffs.

Some of you just don't get it. You have to have patience with what goes down with your sports team, ESPECIALLY in the off-season. The teams that overprice and go ape-**** in the offseason are usually not part of the successful teams in the league. And guess how elated Jets fans are right now? How happy Redskin fans were (and I can attest to this, living in the Metro Area) the past couple of years. And guess what? Those teams haven't done jack! So sit down, watch what goes down (hell, watch with caution if you want, that's more than warranted), but enough of the doomsday; there's far too many Chicken Littles in this forum, and I know many around here are sick of the babblings too.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

sign Roos and I will be happy. Let him hit FA and MR is truly an idiot.

Could probably get Roos to a 5 year 30m 10m SB deal, or something like that, at this point. Will definatly cost more thatn 6m a year when his FA year hits. Right now he would probably be thrilled to put 10m in his Estonian bank account.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

calvin pace gets six years 42 million. odom gets five years 29.5 million. that's a big difference, especially since odom had more sacks last year.

you have to think we could have matched that had we wanted to.

6. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

TRITTO

7. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Okay Kama,

Here it is. I am not necessarily "panicking" but trust, I was/am displeased last year (not b/c of losing Wade, Bennett, and Henry), but just for the lack of interest that the Titans FO displayed last off season. There was no obvious sense of "We are trying to get better". It was let's be patient and wait, and see who becomes available.

Let's be straight and honest with ourselves. The fact that we made the playoffs, does not mean that we "were a better team". It is my honest assessment that we took a step backwards as evidenced by our lack of production and lack successs on offense. That was last year.

This year it appears to be the same thing. A total lack of interest by the FO. Now knowing the terms of the contract, it is now clear that it wasn't b/c of his speed, catching ability, or desire to win why they signed Crump, it was b/c he was CHEAP! period.

Now I understand that we don't want to be like the teams who you quoted that are in cap troubles, but to rebut your point about them let's look at the opposite end of the spectrum, those with the greatest cap room, which in no particular order is Cleveland, San Francisco, Buffalo, Arizona, New Orleans, and the Jets to name a few. I don't think we are striving to be like them either.

My point is there has to be a balance go hard a little after some players, and back off of some players. There is no balance here. They demostrated that last off season, and they are demonstrating that again this off season. This is the greatest reason for concern. The player pool has shrunk, and the Faux playoff apperance that we made cannot be a blinder to the fact that going into this off season we truly needed some assitance in the coaching dept (partly Addressed, waiting on Schitz to get canned), and on the personnel side of it as well (Yet to be addressed), one thing for sure, and it is clear, the avalability of that help is dissapating at a rapid pace. Barring any June 1st cap casualties, or a go getter trade for somebody, this off season will possibly wind up worse than last year.

Trust, I long to see the silver lining of this cloud hanging over our heads, so please give me a reason to believe so aside from the aforementioned Faux playoff apperance.

8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

referin to my older post...

The fact he could not retain Odem or Bell disappointed me...

if we were hvin cap problems i'd understand but c'mon. Our o-line was a strength last yr..and loosing bell will hurt us...he was solid on the inside....however if we loose RT David 'stalwart' Stewart than we really messed up this offseason. also, if we dont get a WR (johnson/walker/hacket) than ill be really mad at the front office...

imo we should sign kearse....see if he can rekindle nything here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitansCountry25
    With 40 million or so under the salary cap and the defensive line is in shambles and looks to either be in the hands of rookies, bottom rung players who we scraped off the floor of free agency

i think we hv the stingiest owner in the nfl....but i got a question bout that...can the owner tell the staff to stay under a different limit (w/o necessarily making it public)....if we hv so much money we really need to use it...i cant remember the last time there was a superbowl team under the cap by 20+M. im not sayin blow it...but odem/bell/stewy all should have/must be signed.

"The Titans were interested in retaining all three players (odem/bell/laboy) but made it clear as free agency opened that they expected to be fiscally conservative." - Tennessean.com ---IN THIS MARKET YOU WONT BE ABLE TO RETAIN THEM IF U ARE ALWAYS 'FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE'!!!

9. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

1 - i agree w/ who said that makin playoffs doesnt mean ur better
    2 - i dont remember ny1 sayin that bennet was worth the contract he got...infact most were happy he left
    3 - wade was actually a reciever vince had some chemistry w/....no but ur right.. we didnt need him evident by vinces' success this season
    4 - henry woulda been nice to keep...he did really well early in the season till he got dinged up...our running game this yr was quite crap...our rbs averaged less than 4.0 ypc MOST OF THE TIME...that is not good at all
    5 - our lines basically took us to the playoffs....we lost key parts of both em (bell/odem/laboy...hvnt signed albe to long term yet either....and stewy is on a tender can be taken from us if we remain stingy.)

i agree w/ ya in that we shouldnt overspend...but from every analyst that i've read they all say...do not necissarly go out an buy crazy in FA but they were basically saying 'keep what ya got'...we didnt at all do that...n i agree w/ em that we shoulda tried to do so...

extra point - wouldnt it be ironic if laboy went to arizona and has a good carreer there....(kinda returning the favor for KVB)

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Lack of interest? Why because we didn't go all out for overpriced players. And really last season we went big at the bigger free agents anyway. Clements, Keyshaun, Donte etc.

Our division was the toughest in the league, we played a tough division in the AFC West and we improved by 2 games and made the playoffs.
    If you think we took a step back you are sorely mistaken.

If he were cheap then Seattle would have signed him for a longer deal for cheap money since they had little cap room. The remote lack of interest in Crumpler suggests there was concern over the long term effects of his knee.

And lack of interest? There isn't much out there worthy. Moss was never going to come, Samuel was never an option and outside of those two there is not much else and don't forget we are competing against 31 other NFL teams for the services of players. We will not always win the bidding war.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar