The Official Chris Johnson Holdout Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 24, Jul 27, 2011.

?
  1. Pay him top playmaker money.

11.8%
  2. Make him the highest-paid RB.

66.2%
  3. Give him an increase to the put him among the top 5 RBs.

15.4%
  4. Make him honor his current contract or trade him.

6.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

That's $18.5 mil right there, for 4 average/below average players. Really I'd like to see Haye, Hope, and Gage cut.. giving us $14 mil to spend on CJ per year. Really it should take us roughly $10/$11 per year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I couldn't agree more. I think that Nate will be even better with Hasselbeck at QB so he'll be worth that $4.5 Million. But the other guys definitely need to be cut. They bring nothing to the table.

3. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

With all the rookies signed, it is time to get mr. 4.24 in the building. Get it done!!

4. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

Seems odd to me that he's holding out again after last year. There are other options out there.

I know Ray Rice is set to make 800K this year (less than half of the punter's salary)
    He had over 1,200 yds last year and he's not holding out.. just sayin'

With the 30K a day rule, it will be interesting to follow.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I loath holdouts. Nothing says me-first, team-last like a holdout.
    I just hope he is only holding out for top RB money and not manning/Brady cash. It could get real ugly then.

6. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

Even if he held out for a very long time, I'm sure a player of his caliber will never pay a penny towards the fines so called incurred.

As Jamie Dukes said [regarding players who so call receive fines as a result of holding out], "these things have a way of working themselves out."

7. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

In all fairness to CJ the 2nd salary bonus was given to him as a sign of good faith by the Titans to get him into camp last year. The Titans FO knew since last year that they had to rectify CJs contract situation.

Last year his signing bonus wasn't even that much money, it was simply the FO moving funds around simply trying to work within the means of the restrictions of an uncapped year.

No matter how you look at it, CJ is grossly under paid.

There is a saying, that you take care of home first! This right here is CJs home, we need to take care of him.

8. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

GoT I feel like your missing the point, the contract he signed last year was given to him by the FO with the intent of giving him a long term deal this year (after the CBA was resolved). That contract was always intended to be a 1yr deal which is why they loaded it so heavily on the front.

In an uncapped year according to the rules of the old CBA, players salaries could only increase I believe like 10% or 15% (Probably not exact, but it was something low). With that being said, the only way we could give him a raise that even the Titans FO feels as though he deserves was to guarantee the majority of his contract in the form of a bonus. Obviously that wasn't going to happen. Therefore, they called a truce and simply agreed that last year they couldn't do a deal as a result of the restrictions of the CBA and gave him a nice bonus (of money already promised him in his contract btw). Therefore, his last contract was only meant to be in affect for 1yr. It's time to pay the man!!!

9. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

I'm about to throw up a "Donate to CJ Holdout Fund" Paypal button in my signature!!!

PAY THE MAN!!! lol

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Surely he's not dumb enough to expect Manning/Brady money. I do however believe he's expecting way more than he (or any RB) is actually worth. If I had to guess I'd say something in the 5 year 60-million range is what he's looking for.

I have a feeling the two sides are still VERY far apart. If they were at least in the same ballpark and just squabbling over a few million bucks then I have to believe one side would be willing to compromise and get the deal done. IMO CJ is still chasing that "reward" for the 2K season rather than just being satisfied to be one of the top paid RBs in the league.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar