The Numbers Argument

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 24, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24

24 Starter

I've never argued against his production this year. If anything, I said VY's stats were good, his intangibles were not. And, the only reason I brought up the hypotheticals was to point out extraneous variables that VY supporters were not considering.

2. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

If Andy Reid or Bill Belichick had Vince, and were in Peyton Manning's division the last decade I would seriously doubt they would have any playoff wins either. It's a QB league, coaches and systems can disguise a terrible QB for so long, but it's ultimately how good the QB (or sometimes insanely elite defenses) is to win multiple games in the playoffs.

Brees won a Super Bowl, not their coach, Manning won a Super Bowl, not Dungi. If you don't have talent, it doesn't matter how good of a coach you are. Belichick had 4 QB's in this league before he got Brady and started collecting rings. Good coaches like Andy Reid have systems that brings the most out of whatever talent they have. That's what Fisher does.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. 24

24 Starter

Good, that's all I wanted, was for people to consider the alternatives. Cowher was in the same position Fisher is in. But, his owner stood by him. Now, he's considered one of the best ever. I just don't think there are many coaches out there that can actually improve our situation.

4. therealtrueblue

therealtrueblue Camp Fodder

im gonna play devil's advocate in a sense and say if the giants can win a SB with eli why couldnt jeff win one with McNair?

5. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

They were almost identical situations. We fell 1 yard short of doing the same thing...not a string of 4-12 seasons, where we had zero shot at it. Even during the 2000 decade, we won the division 3 times with WAY WORSE QB play..and ironically with maybe the best QB to ever play's division.

13-3 with Kerry F Collins. A winning season with Vince Young. Hell, I don't even think Belichick or Reid could accomplish that feat.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'm gonna make this one last point and then leave it alone.

Jeff Fisher career post-season:
    16+ seasons, 6 playoff appearances
    5-6 record

Bill Cowher career post-season:
    15 seasons, 10 playoff appearances
    12-9 record

The two really shouldn't even be spoken of in the same breath. Fisher hasn't done nearly as much as Cowher to justify the owner standing by him for this long.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Are you trying to say Jeff Fisher is a better coach than Bill Belichick?

8. therealtrueblue

therealtrueblue Camp Fodder

please dont tell me that you are implying that fisher is a better coach than belichick

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Not at all, as noted, I suggested that even Belichick needed a QB until he won Super Bowls. My point is that I dont think many coaches could take the talent that is in Tennessee, in the division with Peyton Manning and do better than Jeff Fisher has.

10. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

If we are going to compare Fisher to one of the best coaches in the past 20 years, are we going to compare Vince to Peyton or Brady? That would be nearly laughable.

And, I'm glad you brought up the Steelers. They are maybe the best franchise in NFL history. They have 6 Super Bowl wins. But, you know how many QB's have won a Super Bowl for them? 2. Bradshaw and Big Ben. That's it.

Even with the best organizational structure in the business, even the Steelers need top tier QB's to win it all. And, fans here still think we're gonna win rings with the man child known as Vince Young. That's maybe the most laughable of all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar