The NFL may no longer be a viable game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Daves not here, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

actually it is dumbing the game down when more and more rules are not only implemented but enforced. The ponies have a SB because the NFL dumbed the D down and made their weenie led WRs into freakin' DB busting studs because they did not have to fear getting their heads ripped off when they surrendered after another 7 yard hook and dive.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

30-40 years ago ACL's were career ending injuries. now players are back after 1-2 years and re-injure it or somewhere else.

Certain players genes and playing style predispose them to injury. those guys were weeded out years ago with their first injury. Now, they continue to play and get reinjured. (eg- Favre with 3rd ankle surgery).

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We live in a society today that caters to sissy's. When I fell for w.e. reason as a kid playing, I had to pick myself up and shake it off. Now though, these kids get one scrap and mommy or someone is bandaging them up, and running with orange slices ready. Same for high school football. It wasn't too long ago I was playing, but now I go back to see a game here and there and half the team is sitting out. You used to get respect for playing hurt, now it seems that these teens look forwards to going to the training room for therapy. I thought chicks dig scars... I've found that injuries happen to the slower players. One of my coaches always said - "If you know you're going to be in a head on collision, speed up".

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

were you a "shower player"?

lol - I know you meant slower

5. Riverman

No doubt.

I've coached several of my sons teams (baseball, football, soccer). Kids now have to "have a drink" every effin 5 minutes. Drives me crazy. If I try to encourage them to "toughen up" I get brow beat by the parents on the sidelines.

We went 2 a days with about 30 seconds at the garden hose every couple of hours when we played and we were fine. I know it's cliche but I do think kids are a bunch of whiners now.

I guess the way society has moved toward litigation and "sensitivity" has changed the landscape of youth sports.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Yeah and a kid in Hville died about a decade ago during 2 a days.

You guys are acting ridiculous with this "players are sissy" crap. As medical information becomes more abundant regarding injuries its good to see more precautions taken. Concussions are a great example.

But I guess if a 15 year old has a concussion and doesn't play the next game he's just a whiny pssy. :rolleyes:

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. globelieves

globelieves Starter

It's all about common sense. I'm a mother and my sons can tell you how many times I said "suck it up, you'll live." On the other hand, you don't want people with permanent headaches and ringing in their ears because they had to be tough and not admit to the coach they had a concussion. Chicks do dig scars, but they also dig guys who aren't brain dead.

Football is a rough sport, it should remain a rough sport. I love the sound of a good hit. I love to see bodies flying through the air. But you have to use common sense, too.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. Riverman

Nobody is suggesting that we abandon common sense or avoiding medical necessity.

What I am suggesting having coached several youth teams is that is now OK for the players/children to state to the coach what they "need". They don't really know what they "need" when it comes to developing skills. They CAN survive til the water break or the end of practice and not have to interrupt practice because they "need" to get a drink. This is much different than head injuries, latent hemorrhaging from ruptured spleens, or heat exhaustion.

I am a BIG believer in that youth sports teaches kids the value of sacrifice and the LONG TERM benefits of "pressing on" when you are uncertain if you can finish. Kids don't know long term benefits- they are more in tune with immediate gratification. My experience over the past several years coaching has been it has become much more commonly accepted that the adults (parents and coaches) must acquiesce to the demands of the child for fear of being held liable or reprimanded in some fashion. In the end, the child suffers because they weren't sufficiently pushed.

Granted it IS a balancing act and you must have an adult that is aware of signs of situations that are truly a medical situation. My commentary/experience is such that the pendulum seems to be swinging away from encouraging youth to "tough it out".

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

^

I wonder if the coaches thought the same thing when a player died of heat stroke during 2 a days? He should just tough it out, oh wait, now he's dead.

10. Riverman

^^sounds to me like that coach was a moron.

Accidents happen. More kids die from stupid adults (like leaving kids in hot cars or unattended toddlers) than from athletic related events.

I will guarantee you the number of kids that say they "need" a drink exceeds the number of kids that truly need re-hydration by a magnitude of 1000.

Again- nobody is advocating a blanket approach toward not addressing the need. The point is simply that this generation of parents tends to demand less in regards to physical toughness than prior generations. This observation is obviously anecdotal as is your experience with the Huntsville youth who died of dehydration/heat stroke. It is a balancing act with observation and common sense- there are no absolutes as it appears you are suggesting.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar