The NFL labor agreement thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I don't care how they reach agreement, just reach an agreement.. and quick. I can't imagine a year without football.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I can't believe Gooddell is pushing for the 18 game season...especially after this year where they made so many adjustments to make the sport safer. Playing 2 extra regular season games is not making the game safer. Injuries don't always come from direct contact, lots of times players bodies get worn down and then they become injured.

Also, with the money issue...it may not seem like a big issue to most on the boards, but many players (most) don't know how long they'll be in the NFL and could lose their job mid-season.

Didn't read the whole article but thats my 2 cents. I feel the players have the argument. I'd love to see an NFL budget that shows where all the money is going. I'm sure the players aren't soaking up all of the profits.

3. pettso

pettso Starter

The owners will get their way. When it comes down to it, they have all the power. They may lose a lot in a lockout, but their lifestyle won't have to change. They all have more money than they know what to do with.

Players on the other hand will feel the financial ramifications of a lockout very quickly. Not every player has been sitting on a multi-million dollar deal for years. In fact, most aren't. Sure everyone is making at least a good salary, but for most, this is their only chance at saving up a decent salary. They've invested so much of their life into football and their career is 4 years long on average (read that somewhere). Losing out on one of those years and all the money that comes with it is a massive hit to an average NFL player.

If a deal doesn't get struck before the next season, there are gonna be a lot of players that start switching sides. Anyone that's currently on the fence will surely hop over and it will slowly break apart the longer it goes on.

I'm not sure why they haven't discussed putting in an extra bye week to go with the 18 games. Drop 3 preseason games, add 2 regular season games and a 2nd bye week. An extra week to recover between games will probably help more than those extra 2 games hurt it. It also extends the time football has the mind share of the fans by a week cause even if my team isn't playing, I'll be watching football.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't buy into the need of four preseason games. These teams can afford to bring in teams to scrimmage as the Titans often have. Two "official" preseason games work for me regardless of going to 18 games or not.

Personally, I am okay with a 16-game regular season. Adding a second bye week makes sense if going to 18 but I think it would be more entertaining to add two more playoff teams and have 8 play 1, 7 play 2, and so on and not give the top two teams a bye week. Based on what I've seen lately, the bye week seems overrated.

Adding two more playoff teams makes a few of these late season games a little more important.

5. pettso

pettso Starter

That's reasonable, its a relatively small profit increase for the owners though, which is where I could see it hitting a roadblock. You get an extra 4 games per season from adding 2 playoff teams. On the other hand, you get an extra 64 games from adding 2 regular season games. Plus an extra 2-3 weeks of football being relevant in the media.

Note: The 64 games will just be the incremental gain from the upgrade going from a preseason to a regular season game. 50%? Not sure how many people go to preseason games.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You also have to consider the impact of the playoff expansion to those final regular season games. Adding two may mean quite a few teams on the bubble later in the season which may mean keeping more stadiums full those final few games.

One of the reasons I'm not big on the 18-game schedule is that many teams would be out of the playoff hunt with four games or more left. PSL teams won't have to worry but I could see a lot of empty stadiums around the league in early January in any game which doesn't mean anything.

7. emong

emong Rookie

It's hard to feel sorry for either side. They all make more money that 95% of the population.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I've become a CBA junkie over the last few months. There are tons of angles to this that are interesting to me. One of the ones that I hadn't heard any mention of until today is the schedule. Schedule release day is one of my favorite days of the off-season. It's the day that hope springs eternal for me, even in an off-season like this. I think it was Peter King today who reported that a league rep has said privately that they will be making the schedule as usual, and will release it in April like any other year. Besides the fact that this means that we won't be going to an 18 game schedule until at least 2012, it also means we'll really see how serious the owners are about a lockout. If there aren't any truly marquee games in week one, and no division games in the first two weeks, then this thing could get real bad real fast. Until then, I maintain that there's virtually no possibility of missing actual football games. Preseason and preparation will go all to hell, but there will be football come September.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I don't even take the possibility of a lockout seriously.

It's just a bunch of guys calling each other's bluff. Once desperation sinks in, they'll reach an agreement and all will be well.

That's why this isn't that big a topic to me.

10. CJ2K_809

CJ2K_809 Camp Fodder

Too much money at stake to have a lockout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar