The NFL doesn't have the right.....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by EZpickin, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jzcowboy

jzcowboy Guest

I could only think he was mad the touchdown came in his gap... ???

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Thanks. I'd forgotten about him. He was clearly more egregious with this action and others too numerous to recount than Haynesworth. I think Romo had mentioned that he suffered from steroid rage and that the game encourages borderline savage behavior.

Hopefully, Big Al will conduct himself honorably the rest of his career and this won't stick. Aside from this act, I believe he is a good enough guy.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

In my book, the NFL has a right to punish dirty things done on the field. They have less discretion over what players do in their own lives, but acts of violence on the field that are outside of the rules they set are within their abilities to hand out punishments. They have the right to control what's done during their own games, and set the punishments accordingly.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

And that's what they did. I've got no problem with that either.

I would like, however, to see some consistency. Albert's unprecedented suspension was as much a product of the timing of the event and the fact that his suspension will have no apparent playoff outcome of a small market team as it was the egregious nature of the incident.

You never heard guys like Irving or Romanowski apologizing the way Albert did immediately after the event. (or that guy that picked McMahon up and slammed him down) Well, maybe it's all for the better anyway.

5. GoTitans3801

True, I think it's influenced by the new regime... Also, people are pretending to pay more attention to the whole "atheletes should be role models" thing more than back then. Maybe that's my skewed perception. I'm happy that they're being more strict. As long as they maintain the consistency from here.

6. EZpickin

EZpickin Camp Fodder

I'm not saying that the NFL shouldn't punish these types of things on the field, the post was more about the hippocracy of it all, condemning these players and then hiring them....

7. GoTitans3801

That's the whole competition thing. Coaches/GMs/Owners get desperate. The league does what it can to punish players who do these things. They have the most authority over what happens on the field. In extreme instances, they punish players for actions outside of the game. That's really all they can realistically do. If they banned players with legal problems from playing, the public would backlash.

8. Sappersis

Sappersis "custom user title here"

Violence in football is nothing new, the game was build around it. "BLOODY MONDAYS" wasnt just a cute nickname. However the problems began when it was no longer a sport for adults but a publicized family event. We cant expect football players to be anything but human, however allowing such blatant disrespect and disregard for the health and safty of another player should never be allowed. I wish the NFL were perfect. That each player would be accordingly punished. However, where do you draw the line between sport and violence. A kickers left leg gets taken out by a tackle, ending his career. Do you punish the defender? There is too much gray erea for the NFL to shift through. I for one dont want to see the NFL become a game for babies and wimps, however i feel that once the play is over contact should stop. Anything as blatant as the foul by Hanesworth should hold a severe punishment. What they do on thier own time, imo, is none of my business.

9. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

that guy bled ALOT

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

It was just a flesh wound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar