The next "rebuild"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans256, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

I was talking to a fellow Titans fan buddy of mine the other day. We talk alot. Both of us are fairly objective regarding certain "passionate" subjects in Titania (Fisher's status, Vince, Bud Adams, the field surface, etc). Lately, the subject of the next rebuilding stage came up.

In the past, we've agreed and disagreed on many a Titans subject. Here's what we both AGREE on, regarding the next rebuild:

Bulluck isn't getting any younger. Both of us agree that he probably has approx 2 more years with us.

Vince's contract status is probably going to cause some fireworks very soon. Both of us agree that he may not get much playing time this year, and he'll either wait it out, or ask to be traded.

Here's what we DON'T agree on:

He thinks that if we do not win a SB before the next salary cap purge, Jeff Fisher will not be a part of the next rebuilding phase. He thinks that Bud Adams isn't getting any younger, and Bud wants a ring now.

I believe otherwise.

What do you all think?

2. Daves not here

Daves not here Camp Fodder

I'm with your friend in that Fisher will not be here for the next rebuild

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

who is bud going to go get that would guarantee him a ring?

4. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

I used to think the same thing. But I wonder who on earth he'd hire, and if Bud even WANTS to hire a new coach every 2 or 3 years??

Here's an even better question:

Lets say we win the Super Bowl in 2009 or 2010...does Fisher retire?

5. wtenn

wtenn Starter

Hopefully the front office will never backload contracts like the Reese regime did and there will not be another "purging."

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

The only thing we need is a true franchise QB. Kerry is serviceable, and Vince is unproven for the most part. I was a huge fan of getting VY that year, but he's not been the same since he was a rookie. If he mans up next time he gets his chance maybe it'll work out, but I think we'll be drafting a QB soon, say within next 2-3 seasons.
    ________
    LovelyWendie

7. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

I think if we do win a SB he hangs it up like Cowher did. Still yet to be seen whether or not Cowher comes back but i do wonder how much gas Fish has left.

8. SifuSoul

SifuSoul Camp Fodder

Probably, though in spite of whatever production he may or may not put up in the next coming season(s), I'd like to see him retire in Tennessee.

Doubtful. There won't be any drama. Vy hasn't done much since his rookie year (sure, led us to the playoffs, but this is a "what have you done for me lately" league. He doesnt have much of a leg to stand on. He'll resign, and probably restucture again later.
    Next cap purge? When? I mean, the o-line is set for a while, Harris is Mawae's heir, Scott should be around for a while, Stewart and Roos are locked up for a while, Amano is replaceable.

Bo could stay or go with little problem, Crump is gone after this year probably, Gage will stick, hopefully Washington will stick, Britt we don't have to worry about for a while. Johnson will probably suuuck to resign, but it will happen. White may be gone, might not, but we're like, 6 deep at the RB position as it is. We'll be fine there.

KVB would be hard to replace, but I'm sure we can get him back for a reasonable price. Kearse can be replaced, who knows who our starting DTs will be, but as long as they're not named Haynesworth, we should be ok as far as paying for them goes. Griffin and Hope will cost a penny to keep, but Finnegan is locked up for a while.

The Linebackers are really the only group we really have to be concerned about. Keith and David are both great, and probably deserve great sums of money, but they'll probably be relatively short contracts, if we resign them at all.

We don't have the contracts that we did when the last purge happened. This team I think is structured to not have to purge for a good long while. I don't think this team has to be all that concerned with rebooting. Most of our players are either locked up for a good while or are replaceable.

If we're talking 5-10 years from now, them yes, we'll probably have another coach other than Fisher, if we haven't won a SB, but, then again, if one hasn't won the big one in 20 yrs with the same coach, its probably time for a change.

I think we'll see this current incarnation of the Titans for a while though.

• High Five High Five x 9
  9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I think Fish quits before he's fired. Any purge will be minor compared to the post-Mac purge. The fact that this team recovers from down years so quickly and ultimately being a perennial playoff team in a super small market says alot about why the head coach won't be fired.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

It'll be a long time before we see a purge like what happened with Floyd Reese's deals. They seem to be making a point of not going down that route again...

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar