The New York Yankees

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ColtKiller, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Don't even bother with him. By his logic a team that was in the WS 2 years ago, and won their division this year was a "fraud", but the team he roots for who has had post season disappointment after post season disappointment for the majority of the last decade wasn't. Not to mention, the Rangers dominated the Yankees every bit as much as they did the Rays, but he will still tell ya the team that won the division was a fraud. It isn't worth getting into it with people whose fandom over takes their logic. The Rays and Yankees operate differently, but neither was a "fraud", but it is more constructive to have a discussion with a lamp post than it is a die hard fan of any team who can't separate their fandom from reality.

2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

How the hell were they NOT a fraud? You can't answer that. They were built for the regular season. Nobody is scared of going against James Shields and his 5 ERA in the playoffs. I REALLY wish you knew what you were talking about before you act so high and mighty. And yes the Yankees did have a lot of post season disappointment but the same core also won 4 world series' and then later a 5th. Did Tampa do that I forgot. I guess I should defer to you since you're so all knowing. Before the playoffs started I laughed at anyone picking Tampa because I knew they had no shot against Texas and quite frankly they did better than I thought winning 2 games. I mean do you even watch sports? Do you know what a fraudulent team even means? All hype in the regular season, great win/loss record, underwhelms in the playoffs and is an afterthought. Does that sound like any team in this playoffs? Tampa maybe? If Tampa isn't a fraud then nobody is.

And you're talking to a guy saying NY overspent on A Rod and Teixeira a year after they played an instrumental role in winning a world series.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

How were the Yankees not a fraud then? IF the Rays were a fraud, then they Yankees were a fraud for years, since they have had more than a few disappointing post seasons since 2000. Nobody is scared of AJ Burnett or Phil Hughes either, good grief. My god, you act like you are this baseball expert, but George Will, you are not. You are a typical homer fan who cannot rationally have a conversation about a sport if your team is involved. Baseball is a streaky game, hell, the Giants are in a good position to win the WS, but they barely even qualified for the playoffs. But, they are hot at the right time, which is a lot of what baseball is about (I am sure this is where you tell me I know nothing of baseball). No team that makes the playoffs in MLB is a fraud, not a single one. Being built for the regular season is just stupid saying you made up, just like calling a team a "fraud".

And no, the same core did not win 4 World Series mister baseball/yankees expert. Where is Tino? Where is David Cone? Paul O'Neil? Knoblauch? Brosius? Bernie? Clemens? Hernandez? Nelson? Justice? Shane Spencer? Leyritz? Please explain to me how the teams throughout the 2000's had the same core as there 2000 WS championship team and before. THey didnt, I hate for facts to get in the way of your Yankee fandom, like I said, a better off discussing it with a lampost than a super fan. But go ahead, and dispute facts and hail yourself as some baseball expert. Everyone besides you can see that I have laid out fact after fact that you cannot dispute. Pettite, Jeter, Rivera and Posada were all big parts of their team now, and during their last championship run in the late 90s, but 4 guys don't make up the core of the team now, and they didn't then.

I love how you tell me I am high and mighty, while previously you've made it a point to tell me you know more about baseball than anyone I know. I dont act like I am high and mighty over anyone, and love a good baseball discussion, even if we dont agree on everything. But super fans who let their fandom get in the way of their logic are impossible to have a good discussion with.

And I dont really care what that guy said, just warning him that conversing with you about the Yankees is pointless and a discussion that will go no where.

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I'm sorry, how many rings do Burnett/Hughes have? OK, how many do the Rays pitchers have? Besides, Burnett was what the #4 pitcher on the roster this year. When you have Sabathia and Pettitte your #3 and #4 pitchers aren't as important, who on the Rays is as good as those two? Looks to me like nobody. Oh and how we're the Yankees not frauds all those years? Lets see other than consistently dominating every season as opposed to two and then having to break up, having a big payroll, not being no hit every other week, and having players who have won MULTIPLE world series'. I guess they were frauds, since Tampa clearly has all of that as well. But hey you're the expert.

Bernie Williams was on the team until 2006 and was apart of the core for most of the 2000s. But I was mainly talking about Jeter, Posada, Pettittte, Rivera, and as of late Cano. As long as you keep the same core you can surround them with different players and it will still be successful. It in the late 90s, early 2000s it worked with all the people you mentioned, in the mid 2000s it didn't work with the likes of Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu etc... and in 2009 it did work with guys like Sabathia and Teixeira. Understand now?

Not a superfan I just call it like I see it. And I see that the Rays were frauds. Their hitting can go ice cold in a second, their pitchers are all solid but no real stars, and they get hyped to the moon but have 1 world series game win to their name and a first round exit. No, they're not frauds that's not the total definition of a fraud at all.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

So, you are including Cano as part of the core, when he joined the team in 2005, but you keep referencing their late 90's 2000 teams that won 4 championships. Ummmm, he wasn't a part of those teams, and cannot be included with the core of those teams. He can be included with the core of one WS champion team, and several other teams that were frauds just like the Rays!

And I would take Price over any starter on New York, for the record, and the Yankees starting rotation is average at best. CC is good, Pettite is good but way past his prime. The rest of the Yankees starting rotation is rather average, just like the Rays.

And just for fun, since I referenced plenty of Yankees past that were part of their dynasty run, lets reference current Yankees, since they apparently have the same core. Where was A-Rod in 2000? Tex? CC? Cano? Joba? Burnett? Hughes? Even Torre, etc etc. You have a strange sense of what you consider a teams "core".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar