The New York Yankees

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ColtKiller, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

But no. The Yankees don't try to buy championships, according to Eddy.

lol

They'll try their best to sign Cliff Lee and J. Hamilton this offseason. Guarantee it.

2. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

This is true. The better team won. I'm a diehard Yankee, but I'm not afraid to admit when my team is inferior to the competition. Crackhead Hamilton is a ball smashing beast and Cliff Lee may be the best post season pitcher in the history of the game. That's the great thing about baseball....the better team will prevail by the end of the season. You say the season is too long...I say it takes 162 games to separate the contenders from the pretenders. Hats off to The Rangers. They squashed us and they deserve a shot at a title.

3. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Cliff Lee....most definitely. And why not? Suppose Peyton Manning was a free agent at the end of this season and the Titans had the money to go get him (hypothetically assuming he would want to come to Tennessee). Would you hate on Bud Adams for making the move? Of course not. That's what teams are supposed to do when they're trying to contend for titles. Find the weaknesses in your roster and upgrade. We don't buy championships...we get high caliber free agents who fit our needs and we bring up high caliber young studs who can fill gaps in our roster. Sounds like a winning formula.

And please explain to me how the Lakers 14 championships even compares to the Yankees 27? Because the Lakers have Kobe and Phil and therefore they're the best team in basketball right now? No team in the history of athletics has shown the consistent, long term domination of a professional league that the Yankees have.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

You can't compare championships from one sport to the next. The Yankees have been around since 1903, where as the Lakers have been around since 1946 (1960 they went to LA). Basically, the Yankees have 13 more championships, but have been around almost 50 years longer. So it is hard to just simply compare the # of championships. Secondly, in the last 30 years or so, the Lakers have been easily the top franchise in American sports from a championship perpsective. In the 80s you had the showtime Lakers, then the Kobe-Shaq Lakers, and now Kobe and a great supporting cast type team that still wins titles. The Yankees in that time frame are more equivalent to a team like the Patriots. They are always in the playoffs, and they had a dominant stretch where they won several championships, but they are not consistently winning championships to the same degree the Lakers are.

And I am not taking anything from the Yankees. Baseballs financial system certainly isnt equal, but I dont blame the Yankees for trying to win at all. But in reality, there are plenty of franchises in American sports that are currently just as successful (if not more) from a competitive standpoint as the Yankees, and a lot of those teams do have a salary cap they have to deal with.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

In baseball there's a lot of ways to build a team. What the Yankees do works for them. It's not "buying a championship." I'm not even sure what that means. What's wrong with going after Lee? If Pettitte retires there's a huge hole in the rotation as you just lost your second best pitcher and best post season pitcher. So why not go after Lee? It would make sense. Does New York's strategy work every year? No. But it works a whole lot and teams who try to copy the Yankees team building strategy (Mets for example) just fail. So it's not as simple as sign the best free agent and then you'll win.

Well Josh Hamilton isn't a free agent so, so much for that guarantee.

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I don't disagree with that, but at the same time, the big market teams do have an advantage. That doesn't mean they cant screw it up like the Cubs or Mets and sign bad deals, but the large market teams absolutely have an advantage over the small market teams, who basically have to rebuild every 4 or 5 years because they can't afford to sign their top free agents, or any other top tier free agent. Again, I don't blame the Yankees for doing what they do at all, but at the same time, it can't really be argued that they dont have an advantage over the vast majority of the other teams in MLB.

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Sure New York has an advantage but other teams have made it work before and there'a lot of owners wealthier than the Steinbrenners and their teams stink (Detroit, Washington) it's just they don't generate the same kind of revenue. Now when people say they buy their team it's idiotic. Deuce this is for you.

Percentage of homegrown players on each team's 25-man roster as of the 2009 season.

AL
    New York Yankees 56%
    Detroit Tigers 52%
    Los Angeles Angels 52%
    Boston Red Sox 48%
    Minnesota Twins 48%
    Seattle Mariners 40%
    Oakland Athletics 36%
    Cleveland Indians 32%
    Texas Rangers 32%
    Toronto Blue Jays 32%
    Baltimore Orioles 28%
    Chicago White Sox 28%
    Tampa Bay Rays 28%
    Kansas City Royals 20%
    AL Average: 38%

8. joker8491

joker8491 Camp Fodder

I believe its 210 million vs 65 million. But your point still stands. Money doesn't buy you championships.

The Rangers do have a bunch of players due raises, many of whom haven't even peaked yet. Scary.

Oh and you can forget about Josh Hamilton ever being a yankee. He is not even eligible to be a free-agent for a few more years, plus did you hear his speech? He, arguably the best player in baseball, REFUSED to talk about himself.

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Could someone explain what the hell this means? This year it's, "see Yankee fans, money doesn't buy championships!" Last year it was, "Oh look the Yankees bought another championship." The payroll actually went down from 09 to 10. So what does it mean to "buy a championship?" Do they only buy championships the year they win them? How much do championships go for? Will Texas or San Francisco be buying a championship this year? Or how about when Boston won? They have a big payroll, did they buy a championship or is it only the Yankees who buy them? If NY is buying a championship why don't they buy one every year? If NY is buying championships why do they play the games? And finally as shown above if NY is buying championships why did they lead the AL in homegrown players the year they WON a championship?

Someone please answer these because I'm very confused about all these purchasing of championships. Is there a store they are bought at or what? I know the pawn store in Vegas has a few championship rings, is that what you haters are talking about?

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It's the Yankees. They'll trade 4 players for the guy if they have to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar