The New York Yankees

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ColtKiller, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Are the best franchise in the history of modern athletics.

Being the owner of a sports team, you have two primary objectives: make money and win championships. That is what the Yankees do. How many of my fellow Titans brethren are Yankee fans? My guess is not many, but that's ok. I have a good feeling about this squad, despite the dominance of Philadelphia's pitching rotation. We showed some MAJOR resilience tonight, coming back from a five run deficit in the 8th. Hopefully we can ride this unbeaten playoff momentum all the way to the top. BACK TO BACK.

And by the way, as far as I'm concerned if you're not a born New Yorker then you're a bandwagoneer.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

But wait, what do you consider modern? Are the Yankees any better than the Lakers, who have won more championships in recent years, might not make quite the money, but Kobe Bryant is certainly a bigger international star than anyone on the Yankees. The Jordan era Bulls? Again, depends on your definition of modern, but no Yankees touch Jordan and co. from a popularity standpoint, and didnt win as many championships. They're definately one of the elite franchises in the US and even the world, but when discussing modern sports you need to preface the time frame that you mean by modern.

If you are talking lasting century, then sure, the Yankees are easily the best franchise. If you are talking last 20 years or so, then the Lakers, Cowboys, and to some degree the Bulls I have to argue are better, and the Patriots, Steelers, and Colts are basically equals. And I already know that the argument is going to turn to money when I bring up teams that have one more championships. But, the Yankees are in the largest market in the country, and baseball doesnt have salary cap, so the league isnt on equal footing. Again, last century, by far the Yankees, last 20 or so years, there are several franchises in other sports that are equals if not better when you take salary caps, market size, and championships into consideration.

3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

when baseball comes along into the new millennium like every other major sport has... then we can discuss baseball.. Until then, we can keep talking about the past and glory years of baseball.

Take Josh Hamilton for example... If that guy were to walk into, lets say, Opry Mills Mall, would anyone know who he is? Perhaps a few people... He's one of the best baseball players and no one knows who he is...

What about a yankee like Phil Hughes, CC or even Andy Pettitte? You think 80% of random strangers know any of those guys? Baseball is about the 5th most popular sport in america and its only going to continue to decline. I guarantee you more people would recognize someone like derek fisher before any of those guys.

Baseball teams don't need to be like the yankees to make money. Go look up the pirates. No one goes to their games, they are a glorified AAA team, and the team profits 8 figures a year before selling one seat in the stadium.

While the yankees dynasty is impressive. Compare it football. Compare the American league to the AFC in the NFL. In the AFC you have about 50% of the conference members are contenders. The Colts, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Titans, Jets and so on have a shot. Didn't we all know the yankees were gonna be the world series barring terrible luck? Rangers have no chance. Sorry.

Let's save everyone some time and just skip the 162 baseball games of the seasona nd just put the yankees in the WS each year. National league isn't better. There isnt one team that matches up with the yankees in the national league.

Im not taking any credit away from the yankees. Good for them. The thing is.. you may have all of these championships, but people care more about pro and college basketball and football more so than the world series. Go look up the stats, college football games get better ratings than the world series.

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Noooo it's the 2nd. Erik why do you continue to parade your ignorance throughout the other sports section? And I completely disagree with your assessment of players being recognized. Any sport where people don't use helmets you're going to know what they look like. Honestly, Reggie Wayne could knock on my door now and ask me to sign for a package and I wouldn't know who the hell he is.

I agree with the original post except about being born in NY. I grew up going to Yankee AAA games and seeing Jeter, Posada etc... before they made it big so I've been a fan as long as I can remember. And at the time the team itself wasn't very good.

5. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

maybe i should rephrase when I said 5th most popular sport. I meant sporting organization. You can find anecdotal evidence and try to debunk that claim... but truth be told, no one really cares about Baseball outside of the yanks.

Remember when the Rockies were in the world series... Yeah, that world series was getting beat in ratings by a friday night college football game from the big Least.

Unless you are the yankees, no one shows up to baseball games. Even the Rays can't sell tickets. The reds clinched a playoff spot infront a mostly empty stadium.

200,000 people show up to watch cars drive around in circles at nascar but the florida marlins, who have recent world series trophies, can't pay people to show up to their games! What about the nats?

[​IMG]

Without Baseball Jesus Stephen Strassburg and ESPN hype, they would have been last in attendance.

Without the yankees, MLB might go bankrupt and have cease operations.

6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

81 home games you can't sell them all out. But nice job in focusing in on the teams with poor attendance and not talking about Boston, Chicago, LA, Minnesota, Philly, Houston, Colorado. Just please stop.

7. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

hate 'em, knock 'em out Rangers ...

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yankees suck.

Other teams do better than them WITH a salary cap.

(Lakers, RedWings, etc)

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Uh no, other teams in baseball have a salary cap either. Besides, other than Sabathia and Tex who has NY signed to big free agent contracts? And how are the Mets and Cubs doing spending a ton of money? Spending a ton of money doesn't automatically equate to a championship.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Sure it does. I couldn't name but like 4 players on the Cubs... maybe.

Meanwhile: Every good player ever the Yankees go out and sign trying to buy more championships.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar