The Nate Clements Update Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by DeutschTitan, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROCKYMTNTITAN

ROCKYMTNTITAN Camp Fodder

No, I never said that...I don't understand the argument here. I was stating that I think it is rediculous what Clements is getting paid and he's not worth even half of that.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

most money is ridiculous but Clements is an excellent Cornerback.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

$10m a year...??

Way too much. The tag rate for a corner is $8.6M which means it is or was the average pay of the top 5 highest paid corners. Clements isn't worth more than that tag rate.

I'm sure the niners are thinking that a few years down the road he won't seem so expensive it is such a long deal but nate clements accounting over 9% of your cap? Yikes..

4. Really??Try telling that to the Patriots and after that ask Washington if that method has worked out for them :makefun2:

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

from another thread:
    http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=255868
    Why would you HOPE that bad things would happen to innocent people? :irked:

6. TitanFanBudMan

TitanFanBudMan Professor

For the record, Pitbull I agree with you. I don't won't any of our players or any other team's players to get injured either. I always want to try and beat another team while they are at the best.

As far as Clements, he is above average and he is the class of free agency for CBs, but this contract is out of control. He is now the Top Paid Defensive Player for any player in the NFL.

As much as I was hoping that we would get him, I would have been quite upset in spending that kind of money for him. I could see something like a 7 yr, 49 million with perhaps 17 mill or so guaranteed, but 8 yr - 80 million. No thanks.

7. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

darn it, you beat me to it :ha:

8. i know if i didn't say someone would of :grrhee:

9. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Nate Clements Comparison

Let me say where I stand with the Clements thing. I agree he was way over paid and am glad we didn't top the contract. But you guys calling him a mediocore CB is just funny. People said " he is not an above average corner". I think you should do a little research before you say something like that. Let me prove you wrong.

Here is the breakdown between Champ Bailey and Nate Clements' careers thus far:

Champ Bailey is 29 years old and has played eight seasons in the NFL Nate Clements is 27 and has played in six NFL seasons. Both players played 16 games in each season. In that period, both players returned kicks and punts. Clements had two for touchdowns while Bailey had none

In his first six seasons, Champ Bailey had 21 interceptions, 410 total tackles, 1 sack, 71 passes defended, 4 forced fumbles, four recovered, and 1 defensive touchdown.

In the first six seasons of his career, Nate Clements has had 23 interceptions, 432 total tackles, 1.5 sacks, 61 passes defended, 13 fumbles forced, 4 recovered, and 5 defensive touchdowns.

Clements leads him in all but two of these categories, and one is a tie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar