The "movie recommendations for me" thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeronimoJackson, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I own Full Metal Jacket. I've seen The Exorcist and The Omen.

I'm just not a big Kubrick fan at all. He must've been one very strange individual.

2. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I agree....That's what made Kubrick "different". I'm not into his bizarre realm. Call me simpleminded. I personally just don't get some of this "artsy" stuff being bantered about. Sometimes I think it's just so that "artsy" folks can try and impress and feel elevated above us average peon's.

btw....(if you didn't know) Kubrick did Full Metal Jacket.

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Do you guys not appreciate filmmaking as an art form? That's all I want to know. They aren't just "movies"...

4. Chapparal97

Nah, I'm a simpleton. I just want to be entertained like 99% of the general population does. You go ahead and try to be a Andy Worhal wannabe. Some art form movies are really pretty bad, disgusting even.

You're 23, I'm 50. I have 2 daughters older than you. Tastes change. Get over it.

5. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

As you've demonstrated, age clearly isn't a factor in determining someone's tastes in film. To dismiss those who love movies as an art form simply as "Andy Warhol wannabees" is a tad unfair no? I think much of it has to do with being exposed to foreign, avante garde, or art house cinema at an early age. As we get older we become more rigid in our thinking... we have preconceived expectations of how things are supposed look, sound and feel and when they step too far outside those criterion we rankle. It's very true of black and white films... I've found that if a child is exposed to watching B&W films at an early age they easily accept them, but if you attempt to introduce a black and white movie to someone in there twenties who's not accustomed to watching films sans colour, you'll likely have to work through at the very least some initial resistance. All in all, it's a case of whatever floats yer boat... Which honestly is awesome, and the way it should be... as long as we aren't dismissive of those whose boats float on different stuff than our own.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Dismissing people who like movies you don't is profoundly more obnoxious and pretentious as the people you say like so-called "art" films.

7. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Andy Warhol's films suck, by the way.

It was a genuine question to ask. Do people view films with a critical eye? Do they seem them as an art form? For all you know, I could be watching Crank 2: High Voltage or the next generic Adam Sandler poop joke movie. I never said I was an art film fan. In fact, please, define what that is for me. I'm interested in hearing your opinion...even though you don't want to hear mine.

8. Chapparal97

I'm out of this thread. Sorry guys, I'm not artsy fartsy. When I watch a movie I want to be entertained, stupid or not. I don't really want to be a critic and Judge...... That was not the intent. sorry.

9. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

No one in their right mind who isn't an a-hole is going to think you're stupid for not wanting anything more than entertainment from film viewing. At the end of the day, most people who like to think about film media DO IT for enjoyment, it's just maybe a more involved practice. That doesn't make it a more worthwhile endeavor intrinsically, it just happens to for that individual.

I think onetontitan is probably just sick of defending his favorite filmmaker (including to me, as I'm a vocal Kubrick critic). He isn't making a statement on how the idiot rabble need to leave movies to the real experts. He's a good dude, and just has a strong opinion.

10. Chapparal97

^^^^^Sorry bro.....told you i'm out. I'm simple (the guy paying for tickets) Can't argue with artsy guys that are totally and intellectually above me. I'm in awe of 23 year olds,.........NOT!

WINNING!

BTW.....for the young'uns, Bambi and Snow White can still be purchased at Walmart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar