The Merril Hodge thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by maximus, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximus

maximus Starter

Sure the Titans "dumbed down" the offense for VY. Every team doesn't. Bush wasn't asked to be an every down back, the same for Jones Drew, or Hester. Most rookies are prepared mentally for the pro game, thus the teams often alter and play to the strength of the rookie. Still, a lot of pressure is put on a QB in the NFL. Even Peyton Manning had less pressure on him in his rookie season. It happens, its part of the NFL life. Vince Young went 8-5 as a rookie QB. Orton did better, Rothlesiberger did better. Both had better defenses to back them up. It wasn't till VY took over at QB that our run game took off.
    VY is the reason for the season

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Hoge stepped in a deep pile when he was proclaiming the Titans we be "stuck with Vince" for at least 3 years. Now he can't shake it off his shoe.

My beef with Hoge is that he took an obvious fact that applies to most teams and their rookies ("dummying down") and sensationalized it with asinine predictions AFTER ONLY ONE PRE-SEASON game. Surprisingly, he has outdone himself in the asinine department by refusing to budge one bit from his outrageous first position. Personally, that is why I think his opinion is more of a schtick than reality. (Unless he really did get knocked in the head one time too many.) I almost wonder if it just isn't some old school Steelers/Oilers bad blood.

3. maximus

maximus Starter

I think you might have just stuck on something. Its blantantly obvious that he is biased about the Steelers. I went looking for some stuff that Hoge would said about Big Ben in his rookie season. Seems the Steelers did a good job of hiding their rookie QB, not highlighting him

4. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Camp Fodder

TNT, there's no way you, I nor any other Titans fan should give Hoge a pass. The verbal excoriation laid upon Vince by Hoge was far beyond the pale. Saying he's inaccurate at times or needs time to learn to read defenses is legitimate criticism, as befits a rookie.

However, saying after one preseason game that the Titans were "dismantling of an organization based on a bad pick in the first round of a quarterback", "that there are no signs of this guy ever being a bona fide, legitimate quarterback in the NFL..." and (paraphrasing) "The GM that drafts Vince Young will be fired in two years" is ridiculous at best and can be construed as downright pigheaded and petty. He even thought Vince wasn't even worth a first DAY pick as a QB...thinking drastically out of line with even the most sceptical of scouts.

You are correct when you said the Titans kept thing for him simple. But that's what happens for every inexperienced QB. J.P Losman's development in Buffalo is credited to the simplification of their offensive scheme, and he's been in the league three years. The Titans' run game did keep pressure off of VY, but so did the Steelers' run game in the case of Rothlesburger. The level in which Hoge did/has/will bashed Vince is incredible in its venom and wroth.

If you want to give a pass to someone and hear fair(er) criticism, look across the table on the same show to Ron Jaworski. Another outspoken critic of Vince initially, he has greatly tempered his criticism of VY, given him credit while pointing out his flaws and areas in which he needs to improve. Merril deserves no such consideration from us as a fan body politic.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Hoge= Boob or Hoge= douche bag. Hmmmmm.....tough decision

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

why not, he has a right to his opinions just like you do yours. It hasn't bothered me at all what he has said about Young. I cheer for the Titans not Young. When the players are introduced I applaud them all, some more than others. When they deserve a boo I do that also.

You folks need to get over what Hoge said. You don't like what he is saying then turn the channel. But instead you sit there like you are watching a train wreck and can't turn away. You hunt for everything Hoge says about Young so you can post it here. get on with your life. Next yr it will be someone else he is talking about.

7. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Actually, there is. Not only is it an acceptable alternate form of spelled, there is also a form of wheat called spelt.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

8. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

This is funny. You got the Hoge who hates Vince. Us who hate Hoge for hating Vince. And then there are those who hate US for hating Hoge for hating Vince!

And Ewker, if he is entitled to his opinion aren't we entitled to ours that he is a douche?

9. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Camp Fodder

Ewker, I'm a believer in Voltaire's maxim (I disagree with what you say, but I defend your right to say it) and I have backed up TNT when other folks have bashed him for his opinions. VY wasn't your choice for a QB, and I respect that. I am far from what you refer to as a "Young groupie"; I just hate when anyone is smeared in the press.
    Furthermore, who is this nebulous "you" that you, Ewker, speak of that hunts for everything Hoge says? It surely isn't me. Do I think some of his statements are startling and funny in their foolishness? Yes. Am I calling for Hoge to be publicly pilloried, following by a tarring and feathering? No. Plus, when Hoge keeps riding VY, the topic stays valid. It's not as if he said his statement, then walked away; it's been enforced the entire season.

I've been a Oiler fan since I could walk, and after some thought became a Titans fan after the move. I also enjoy Vince Young and dislike the manner in which Hoge criticises him. These aren't mutually exclusive...let's get that straight. Also, in the scheme of things, aren't we both not progressing with our lives by talking on a BBS? I think you are a valid counterweight to some of the more zealous VY fans, but have respect for folks' opinions.

10. STF

STF "blank"

Maybe Hoge is the biggest fan of VY of everyone?

Everyone knows that VY play better when people are questioning his ability. Maybe Hoge understands that and, as the fan he is, uses that to make VY play better?

:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar