The McNair situation: what to do?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 3, 2006.

?
  1. Leave as is now. McNair becomes a free agent after '06. Titans take a $24 mil cap hit.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Do a two-year deal which lowers his cap hit to $15 - $18 mil for '06 and '07.

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Cut McNair. Take the $14 mil on as dead money. Bring in some FAs with the $10 mil.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdavis2k

sdavis2k Guest

I would assume the $1 million keeps him there for this year and this year only, which means the Titans will likely pickup a QB in the draft at #3 and either in 2007 the new guy or Volek will start.

I know the GM and Head Coach have to be concerned about winning and doing it this season but they(and the owners) also know that they are rebuilding after all the cuts last year so I think if they take a good step towards rebuilding by getting some fresh talent in this draft and maybe some FA pickups that they will have a better year and get contract extentions.

Everyone has said that teams can only remain competetive for about 5 years on average with the current CBA in place, since it require you to purge Vets, restructure deals, or do alot of cap juggling. And the Titans are just coming back from having to that and I think this season they will be better and next season probably back in playoff contention. Who knows with all the cuts this year they might do even better but I think alot of owners know that this years cap has put the majority of teams in a bad spot.

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Good question...either way, we will have way too much money invested in QBs in a couple of months, money that could be better spent to improve the defense and other key positions. I also don't get why McNair being a mentor is such a big deal, we're going to pay a guy 15-18 mil a year to rub all of his bad habits on our franchise rookie? Do people actually think the older Steve gets, the more durable he will be, and more he will practice? I don't, so Vince would be learning on his own with the coaching staff and taking reps anyway while Steve is going back and forth between the cold tub and the hot tub. Why have that on the books?? Vince will be getting the reps anyway, in this scenario, why not let him sit and learn behind Billy, who desperately wants a shot to play, and could enhance his trade value?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

No, we'd be paying $7.5 - $9 mil a year. The rest is from prior bonuses and restructures.

It's interesting to see how this poll is going. Nearly as many want to release McNair as resign him to a two-year deal.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I say stay put, keep Mac one more year and if a team is willing to work a trade for mac or Volek consider it. Either way be out of the CAP hell after this year.

5. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

The way they are talking it isnt. It isnt due until September. I think all they did was decline the $50 mil option.

6. TitanJeff

Reese mentioned in his press conference he is waiting for a ruling from the NFL on the McNair contract. Anyone know what that's about?

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Ok, I see what you're saying..But his cap hit would be in the 15-18 mil range right? still a lofty cap hit, for someone who could just retire and then be hired on by the Titans staff to be a Mentor for 1 mil a year.

8. TitanJeff

If the Titans release him tomorrow, he is still a $14 mil cap hit from what I understand.

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

so then there is no relief in sight. he counts just as much with us or without us, I guess might as well have him. I am getting more confused the more I think, I feel like Vince Young.

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

No, we save 10 mill by trading/cutting him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar