The Mario Williams Support Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Okay so here we have yet another thread dedicated to Mario Williams, however this thread wont be to discuss why we could or couldn't acquire him, this thread will be a poll to see if you do or don't support the idea of giving up 2/3 of our available cap space to land one of this decades best free agents. It's not very often a guy of Mario's magnitude become available in the prime of their career.

Some notable free agents to sign elsewhere
    2004 Warren Sapp agreed to terms on a seven-year, $36.6M contract with Oakland.
    2006 John Abraham agreed to terms on a six-year, $45M deal with Atlanta.
    2009 Albert Haynesworth signed a seven-year $100 million deal in Washington.
    2010 Julius Peppers signed a six-year deal worth $91.5 million with Chicago.

When our team has had money to spend, we've spent it. In 2006 we shelled out close to $90M in contracts inking up David Thornton, David Givens, Kevin Mawae, and Chris Hope. So we do shop when things fit. Mario Williams fit's our 4-3 scheme perfect.

2. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

1/2 maybe... 2/3.... never.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I would. Mario would transform the defense. He'd take double teams, still get pressure, open it up for Casey, Morgan, Klug, etc... which would improve our secondary. Plus we have young guns McCarthy & Ayers ready to lead our LB core.

If we can follow up with re-signing Babs and getting Scott Wells (which we'd still have money for) we'd be set. We'd need to draft 1 more safety (1st or 2nd round), another DE/DT (1st-4th round), guard (3rd-5th round), and a CB (1st-4th round) for depth.

• High Five High Five x 6
  4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I voted no because the contract can be worked in such a way that it shouldn't cost us a cap hit of 20mil to sign him.

We should be able to work out a contract that gives us a cap hit of around 14mil each yr and guarantees him 40mil over the life of the contract.

I do think that we should take the chance on him and roll the brinks truck up to his house. If would not go stupid money and if he wants 20mil a yr then forget about it.

I still think we should switch to the 3-4 because I think it is more effective at stopping the run and creating pressure on the QB and in the long run can be cheaper from a cap standpoint.

5. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

I support it. Let's seal up our DL problems now that we have a chance with a well-known dominant player. DB's come a dime a dozen and I'm sure we'll be able to fix those issues with the draft.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't support paying him $20 million a year.

7. JCBRAVE

I realize you take a huge risk putting all your eggs in one basket, but Mario isn't injury prone, he's played in 86% of Houston's games the past 6 years.

Before signing a monster deal with the Bears, Julius Peppers played in 95% of the games for the Panthers.

If we can first get him in to discuss terms, we can use that very fact as a negotiating point to lower his asking price.

8. JCBRAVE

It won't be $20M, I did say "close to 2/3"

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

He's not THAT great.

Never was. Never will be.

Guy is still living off hype.. it's amazing to me.

10. ScotTitan

ScotTitan Starter

What he said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar