The Great Jeff Fisher Debate thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dbc5631, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

If you guys don't mind I'd like to start a thread about Fisher and we can debate whether or not the guy is an upper tier coach.

I say without a doubt yes!

In the 10 seasons from 1999 through 2008 the Titans averaged 22 pts per game and gave up 21 points per game. Fishers/Titans record was 96-64!
    Think about those 10 teams and how many players were so good they could have started for 90% of NFL clubs. CJ in 2008 most likely, Haynesworth had a couple of years, Pacman at PR/KR in 2006, Kearse 1999 and Bruce Matthews in 99 and maybe 2000. Those, in my opinion are the only non debatable guys. Mac 9 was great in 2003 but I think there were more than 5 teams that had a QB that they would start before him. Also up for debate are guys like 1999s Runyun, Rolle, Wycheck and L. Neal. 2003/4 Bulluck and maybe the 2007 Bironas.
    My point is the Titans have never led the league in talent. Think about the Ravens with Lewis, McCalister, Sharpe, Stover, Jamal Lewis, Ogden, Goose, Boulware and Rod Woodson just in 2000!

Since there are a whole boat load of folks ready to ship Fisher out I decided to look at his last 3 full seasons since, the "Vince Young Era" if you will, or when we started winning again after salary cap hell.
    I compared the 2006-08 Titans with the 2006-08 Steelers.

Those 3 Steelers teams went 30-18, scored 1093 pts and gave up 807 pts.
    Those 3 Titans teams went 31-17, scored 1000 pts and gave up 931 pts.

To me, that has great coaching written all over it. It says the Titans do the intangibles better than others. There's no other way to explain 96-64 while giving up about the same pts as you're scoring.
    I know, we're 0-2 in playoff games recently but in 06 we were outmatched and last year I truly believe the Lendale/Crumpler fumbles cost us a SB trip.

I think the one major flaw in Jeff Fishers teams are there are not enough true superstar/swagger players, guys that know without a doubt they will impose their will and I think that is a Bud Adams issue.

Let the debate begin!

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Gotta disagree with you. Sure your stats are sound, but the only one that really matters in all of this is 0, yes ZERO rings.

I do give him credit for those years like last year where we weren't expected to even finish above .500 and we were atop the AFC in wins. His philosophy is just too outdated. This isn't the 1980s and that old school style of play just doesn't work in 21st century football. The game has evolved and changed so much and Fisher hasn't adjusted.

I have loved this coach and defended him forever but I can't anymore. His stubbornness cost us those first 6 games and more than likely his job here.

I'm grateful for all the good things he has done for this team but he just can't get it done.

3. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

How is his philosophy outdated? 96-64 in the past ten seasons!! 31-17 in the past 3!!! Fisher has not only never had a upper echelon passing QB so we can run this supposed "21st Century Offense" but has never had any say in any of the QB's taken. The best free agent ever signed was Kevin Carter!
    Look at the OP once again at the Steelers numbers and the Titans from the past 3 seasons. How can we do anything but assume that Jeff would have won a SB and more games with that Steelers roster??

4. Big Time Titan

No No No. Don't get me wrong, Fisher has been a really good coach. I didn't say that we have a 21st century offense. And your stats are on point, my thing is this, we have had great teams before only to come up short.

Again, players fumbling, coming up 1 yard short isn't Fisher's fault. That does fall on the players. But he can't get a pass just because he has been here so long and at this point that is the only thing keeping him here.

Last year, he came off as a miracle worker by turning in a 13-3 regular season record and home field advantage with a team that wasn't expected to do anything.

And to say that he is a great coach because he has come close to winning us a championship does not make him a great coach. He's way overrated. Like I said your comparison with Pitt is a good one, but they have rings, we don't.

It is that simple. Fair to say that we agree to disagree. Cause when Vince turns it on and we really get on a roll, it's gonna wind up costing Fisher his job. I don't say that as just a VY fan, but as a Titan fan. Fisher is responsible for putting the best team on the field for us and he hasn't.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Depends on your definition of "upper-tier" I guess. To me he definitely is not elite. His record speaks for itself. 6 winning seasons out of 14 (likely will be 15 after this season). His stubbornness and loyalty to certain players is a big problem. And most importantly, he can't get it done in the playoffs.

My feelings exactly. I defended him forever too. But enough is enough. 15 seasons, zero rings, and only one SB appearance. See ya.

6. Big Time Titan

Yeah and the upper echelon QB argument doesn't hold up either. Because in Fisher's system, the QB isn't the most important piece.

And sure his record that past 3 years is pretty good but what about in the playoffs? Aha, a whole nother story, cause thats when wins matter most.

7. Jedimasterbyrd

Jedimasterbyrd Time Traveler/Jewel Thief

He's a stand up guy and I hope he continues to coach the Titans.

8. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

He should sit down...

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

jeff fisher is a good coach, not a great one.

if he were fired today he wouldn't have a problem finding a HC job somewhere else immediately when the season is over.

10. Big Time Titan

Yeah just because he's a stand-up guy doesn't mean he should be given a pass for almost winning us a championship when he should've given us a championship.

Mike Shanahan was a lot like Fisher, long tenured coach with the same team and he actually won 2 rings unlike Fishbag who has none. And they fired him, for subpar production from his team. So am I saying to follow Denver and can Fishbag, why yes I am. He's been given too long a leash and Bud has been way too loyal to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar