The great american hope! RED ALERT!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RollTide, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3QzX1ZadJM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3QzX1ZadJM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

His arm bars are so legit...

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Don't disagree. And for the record, I never said boxing wasn't strategic.

I find MMA more strategic because there are more fighting styles and strategies to deal with. Also, there's another entire level of strategy learning how to use your lower body both to deal damage and for protection.

Just a joke buddy. Big red clown glove fighting.

No, it's not like saying that.

I don't have professional training in boxing or in any mixed marital art.

However, aren't boxing gloves designed to spread the impact?

In UFC, gloves are designed to protect the fighters hands. In boxing, gloves protect the victim's face. In the long run, that's much more dangerous for the boxer.

Multiple repeated head shots leading to long term brain damage.

I don't know if grounded is the term I'd use, but I get your point. Certainly there is a lot of strategy to ground work.

MMA/UFC isn't designed to support large gloves. It would ruin the sport. And certainly a punch is more powerful and can do more damage without 12 oz gloves.

Here's a pretty cool standup KO in UFC...

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0AAyiYt9m70&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0AAyiYt9m70&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

3. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Man, when Chuck went down I thought he was dead. My wife is a huge lidell fan, so she was pissed. I was laughing my *** off, but Evans was a little bit of an *** about it.

4. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Damn, Kami, that is one big Asian dude. He was scared from the get go though.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It's cool man. I never take a disagreement for anything more than what it is. Everyone has opinions and discussing them is entertaining to me at least.
    Brock is a beast, but he'll fall at the hands of a technical fighter. They'll just submit him. He leaves himself vulnerable a lot. Though- he has a lot of room to get better while many of his opponents are maxed out on potential.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

7. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I think we're just in disagreement; I prefer boxing, and you prefer MMA. I agree with most of your points here though, and that was kind of my point all along; they're just different, one isn't necessarily better, or require more strategy. Attacks, and defenses to such, in boxing are a lot more complex than in MMA, and anyone will tell you that; there is a great deal of strategy and things a fighter has to do to prepare (just like an MMA fighter has to be sure to be able to attack and defend with strikes, submissions, throws, etc etc).

And yeah, that KO was disgusting...

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Who is the top 135 lb champ in mma? Conjure up roberto duran from 30 years ago and that guy would have no chance.

MMA is something fun to watch when nothing else is on. Boxing is an institution.

There may come a time when when so many are involved in MMA that the sport will be high quality but the quality of athlete in boxing is superior.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ever since leonard fought duran in montreal in 1980 the greatest fight in the history of boxing i have had no interest in the heavyweight division. It's boring. I would rather watch pacquiao any day than a 46 year old evander holyfield dancing with a modern day primo carnera.

Boxing is truly an american sport it is our contribution to the martial arts. Joe louis didn't defeat max schemling with an arm bar. Braddock didn't beat max baer with a head lock. In britain and the usa boxing is far more important than any mma.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I understand what you are saying, and I appreciate boxing's rich history.

But I don't think your last statement is true anymore. It was true 10 years ago, but things are drastically changing.

I will say, the results are not conclusive yet. But I think anyone with a fair opinion would say MMA is heading upward, and boxing is in a steady decline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar