The great american hope! RED ALERT!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RollTide, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm responding to the "it will NEVER be on network tv" part. I just found that hilarious since it already has been on network tv!

And good news! Yes I also love Gina Carano, she is amazing to watch fight!!! Finally after a LONG stand against it, there is talk that Dana White, has finally changed his long held opinion of keeping women out of MMA and in particular the UFC. I think the brother's in charge (can't think of their name) influenced him to do so. Some of the behind the scenes UFC stuff is really hilarious sometimes if you keep up with it.

anyhow, I'm really hopeful and excited to see her fight again soon!

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

ONCE and didn't the main fight last like 25 seconds?

3. Fry

sigh

i said never "make it" as in, be a regularly scheduled program once a month or however they would decide to do it.

4. Alex1939

WRONG again. They had multiple CBS events.

Actually you said it would never make it because it would NEVER be on network TV due to its brutality.

Thing is, it actually had decent ratings. The only reason it didn't survive is because their main draw was a complete joke fighter, and they had terrible contracts in place.

Regardless MMA is definately on the up and here to stay. Boxing is dieing a slow death. It won't ever return to the popularity heights it once had.

My suggestion, start getting used to it.

5. Fry

so it got canceled? thanks for proving my point.

6. Alex1939

Can't admit you were wrong?

It didn't so much get canceled as went bankrupt. Guarantee if UFC got a deal with network TV it would be around a long time. Why do you think there have been 7 or however many ultimate fighter's on Spike? It's not because people don't watch.

7. Fry

if it was doing so well on CBS they would have found a better league to put on. hasn't happened yet.

8. Alex1939

I'm done arguing with people that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

http://www.themmadigest.com/2008/06/elite-xc-cbs-ratings/

There is one article, and there are several others that discuss how Elite XC was the number one viewed program in its timeslot when it debuted.

But just keep believing whatever you want, because it's clear even when you make a completely untrue statement, such as MMA has never been on primetime, that you are unwilling to admit you were wrong.

I'm not sure why UFC and a major network haven't agreed on a deal. Could be that UFC simply doesn't need a major network. Could be they are already in contract with Spike and can't sign with a major network. All speculation, I don't know the story.

But I guarantee UFC would work on primetime television. It's popularity and ratings certainly suggest that.

Like I said, just believe what you want, because its obvious facts won't change your opinion.

(p.s. sorry Rolltide for hijacking the thread; I'll bow out now incase anyone does want to discuss boxing)

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

How is mma more strategic?? Wtf? lol

In mma they have so many safety nets to use, it makes the fights brutally boring to watch. Lay down. Wrap your legs around a man in a homosexual manner. Now just hold on. Keep holding. Keep holding. Oops he hit you in the face once with the side of his fist. How much longer will the ref let you lay here? All round?? Cool! Keep laying. Ok...1 round over. That other guy is completely worn out from our dry hump session. Only 2 rounds left!

That and the 1 decent punch calls a fight off. It's crap. Very few times is the fighter even in much danger when they call the fights in mma.
    And there are very few elite fighters involved. Fedor and who else? Any of those guys can get knocked out by some random nobody off the street any day of the week- and that's why mma sucks.

If they adjusted the rules, I might watch it. I have to endure it when me and the fellas go out on fight nights for beers, but god is it terrible. It's literally like watching my next door neighbors get drunk and go at it in the lawn. But people pay for this...

And in boxing you actually have to plan to go rounds. STRATEGY. Not a sissy 3 rounds either with laying around and tons of mat resting. You have to take the body on a speed fighter- that alone beats any strategy in mma's "hope i get lucky with 1 punch or I hope i can get an armbar".

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Oh. And didn't K1 die also? UFC will die soon. Trying to take respectable Pride fighters, that also lose by any lucky punch or kick. They'll have the same problem boxing does- if there's no icon, there's no fan base.

Rampage is another fine example. Got beaten by a nobody. Their over-hyped Kimbo suffered the same. (though we knew he sucked after watching him struggle on elitexc)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar