The Gloat's QB rankings of 2011. (A surprise or 2)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Cam Newton sucks. Give it up.

He throws to wide open targets and often even flubs those.

Having a strong arm means nothing if you can't use it correctly.

And dude's track record makes Vince Young look like a genius and an angel. He's an idiot.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Moon1

Moon1 Starter

I really feel like all the people commenting on Gabbert are just making these comments bc he is a new name that they don't really know a lot about and therefore don't believe in him. His team went 2-1 against the best three teams in the big 12 this yr and he had two good games and a so so one in them. Comparing him to Chase Daniels is just ridiculous. Chase was an undersized qb that didn't have great arm strength. Gabbert on the other hand is 6'5 235 with a great arm. As someone mentioned earlier, the only reason he is suddenly on boards now is because people didn't believe he was coming out this year. I'm not saying he is a great qb bc I have only seen him in a few games, but I also believe that is the case for most people saying he is being over hyped.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Note the typical race element to Duece's Cam Newton opinion. Did he call any other QB dumb?

Cam Newton not accurate? Then how did he complete 68% of his passes.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gloat would have had him on the top of his list had he played in the Big Ten. He is at least as good a prospect as Gloats favorite guy.

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I haven't watched as much this year as most years. Gotta say that Cam has definitely impressed me with his ability to pass the ball. Obviously, he's a good runner as well and that may not be a route the Titans are willing to travel down twice. It's not logical to preclude Cam because of Vince, though.

6. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Whenever I hear about a talented college QB with character issues and questionable decision-making skills, I think back to Ryan Leaf. Uh-oh.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Note my favorite QB in the NFL is Michael Vick. Note that I take up for Vince Young over Jeff Fisher. Note that I wanted Jared Cook over Stephens all year. Note Tyrod Taylor is my favorite current college QB. Note how you're an effing idiot that uses the race card to bail you out when you can't form a logical counter.

Yes. It's because Cam Newton's black, RollTide. Only you are that focused on whether the guy is black or white. ONLY YOU.

How many wide open WRs did he miss last night? Not the ones he threw to and missed... I mean the ones he didn't even see because he's too slow mentally? At least 4 would have been sure TDs.

He sucks as a QB. And you're the only one that thinks he sucks because he's black, apparently.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Obviously it is hard to look at Cam and not see some VY. They have many similarities besides color.

But Newton has been accurate this year. And to make a ridiculous claim it is because his great WRs are wide open is getting a little out of objective mode here.

The main issue with newton and many college QBs is it is so hard to see how they will translate their talent to the NFL. So many college schemes are spreads or some other gimmick offense that simply won't work in the NFL. If I had to be critical of Newton that would be it. We really don't know how he will handle taking snaps from center and setting up. But from the gun he has poise, reads defenses pretty well (part of why he hits open WRs) has awareness in the pocket that is above average. His arm is second to none.
    Later in the year against the better teams he wasn't allowed to run as much, they shut that down. But Newton showed he can win games with his arm. He looked a little rusty against a very atheltic and fast team last night but still had a solid game. In fact I thought the offense was a little too much razzle dazzle crap (especially early) and he would have been better off just running a more traditional offense and I would have liked to have seen that (IMO Auburn could have lined up in an eye and run the ball down their throat). Too bad most of these QB come out early and we don't get to see them in the Senior Bowl where they have to play a more traditional NFL scheme.

On the other hand it is too easy sometimes to get enamored with QBs who play in a more traditional NFL scheme with some success in college. While they may be slightly ahead because they have taken snaps from center they often lack arm strength or some other tangible that restricts their potential. They end up not being able to cope physically in the NFL.

We know physically Newton can play. The quesiton is can he adapt.

9. Woy

Woy PA's finest.

Ricky Stanzi...lol.

10. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

I agree with you about both Mallett and Newton.

At first, I was a little excited about the prospect of getting Newton. This was probably because I hadn't seen him play in a while (since the Bama game). After the championship, I gotta say no. He really can't pass.

I've always felt this way about Mallett. He's the most talented passer in the draft but he's also one of if not the dumbest. With his talent and Petrino's qb friendly system, it's no surprise that he had success. I'm not saying he won't be good, I just think there are some red flags. I think Gabbert's a lot like Mallett. They both threw picks to lose their respective bowl games.

I haven't seen a lot of Stanzi. I watched the Northwestern game and the Mizzou game. He was absolutely horrible against Mizzou. He may be worth a 3rd rounder though.

Locker could be our best bet. I've read a lot about him losing confidence early on so that could explain his play this year. However, he would have been the 1st overall pick last year so there's something there. Also, of all the top tier qbs, Locker's team is the worst (by far). I think Locker should be our guy if we're set on getting a qb during this draft.

I'm not really too thrilled with any of them to be honest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar